First Lager! Looking for ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
I'm ready to lager baby! Getting to the point that I've tried many styles of ales and stouts that I like and now I need.........something else.

I'm looking for a good summer time easy drinking but tasty lager. I just bought 100 pounds of Domestic 2row so I'd like to use that if I can. Other than that, the sky's the limit! Any ideas would be great and also any lagering suggestions for a cherry popping lager noob like myself!

Thanks again!

Well, it's March, so it's perfect time for a Marzen! I love them, and they are a great fest beer (Oktoberfest is another name for "marzen" beer). Of course, the traditional time to drink it is in the fall, and if you start in the next couple of weeks, it'll be enough time.

I'm drinking a Vienna lager right now (literally, at this very moment). It was Bradsul's recipe, but it's a double decoction and it may be a bit much for the first lager.

I just looked at my calendar- if you make a starter this week, and brew next weekend, you can have a lager ready by June 9ish. I guess that a light summer lager would be just the ticket. I would probably make a Helles. There are a couple of recipes here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f57/ I like the looks of Beerrific's recipe, but I haven't done it. I think a pilsner would be great, too, but they are more "futzy" in my opinion. I'd stay away from decoctions, or multiple step mashes, and do a recipe with a simple single infusion.

Oh, I just reread that you wanted to use 2-row. I can't think of any lighter lagers that I would use 2-row in. Maybe a continental American pilsner? If you use corn to lighten it up, that might be a good way to do it. I'm definitely NO expert on CAPs, though! I think Bob has posted a recipe and his insights on CAP.

Thanks Yoop, I've been thinking about a good Pilsner but am not sure where to go with it. Could you describe a CAP? What would be a good commercial equivalent? I was thinking about going with 2row, and a little bit of Vienna and Munich but once again I am flexible and just looking for a great tasting first lager for this spring. Maybe a Boch?

P.S What's Futsy? Does it involve Feet? :)

P.S What's Futsy? Does it involve Feet? :)

Haha- no. I guess that's a regional expression. When you "futz" around with something, it's futzy. You know, a PITA, but smaller.

I'm NO lager expert. A CAP would probably be best described by Brewpaster or Bob- someone who knows what they are talking about.

In Brewing Classic Styles, Jamil Zainashef talks about classic American pilsners, and described them as having a definite corn-like character. It would be a clean, moderately hoppy lager.

His recipe is:
OG 1.058
FG 1.012
9.5 pounds two-row (or six row)
3.8 pounds flaked corn

Mash at 148 for 90 minutes, or until conversion.

90 minute boil.

Hops:
1.82 ounces Saaz 60 minutes
1 ounce Saaz 20
1 ounce Saaz 10
1 ounce Saaz 5
1 ounce Saaz 0
(3.5 AAUs)

Yeast:
WLP 800 Pilsner lager, or Wyeast 2001 Urquell

Lager at least 4 weeks after fermentation is finished. Ferment at 50 degrees.

Jamil says in the book that he knows there are too many hops- but it's good. For a more traditional beer, eliminate the 10 and 0 minute additions.

Keep an eye on your water- this beer would NOT work with a high RA or with highly alkaline water. If you can make light colored beers without a problem, then it's fine but for my water I'd have to cut it with 50/50 RO and tap water.

Back