First Lager EVER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
Well, I've been keeping careful track on the temperatures at my friend's garage (well actually right next to the house, yet inside the garage) and it's a constant 48 degrees. He's also got a basement that's a constant 58. between those two I think I have some sweet temperatures. I'm thinking of doing my first lager just before Christmas. I figure, I'm also brewing a Kolsch so these two should go well together and both please my BMC friends and bandmates. Thery always complain that my beers are "too intellectual".

Anyways, what would you suggest for someone doing their first Lager. I'm personally thinking something like the Sam Adam's Boston Lager, an American Pilsner or such. I want something that has a lot of flavor, and at the same time isn't overpowering for my BMC friends. And last but not least, a good Lager start brew. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
-Ben

I wouldn't recommend starting with a Pilsner. The flavors are more delicate, and any little flaw shows up like a sore thumb. I would recommend starting with an amber lager - maybe something similar to the one made by the Brooklyn Brewing Co. This is a little more forgiving. If you need an all-grain recipe, I can give you one for the Amber that won me my first blue ribbon.

If you do decide to do a Pilsner, make sure and use the highest quality ingredients - real German Pilsner malt, top quality Saaz hops, etc.

It would be either an extract or partial mash. I don't have the equiptment for all grain. You know, maybe I could just extract-ize the Brooklyn Amber Lager recipe. That wouldn't be too bad. I know I love Brooklyn lager, but you know, it might be too intellectual for my bandmates. Hmmm..
-Ben

The least intellectual lager I can think of (which is why I made it my first) was a vienna-style beer that is essentially a "dos-equis" clone. I was surprised how easy it was and its perfect with a squeeze of lime and chips and salsa ... how "un-intellectual" is that?

Those are good temps for a California Common.You use an ale yeast which has some lager characteristics. A good example is Anchor Steam beer.

Really? I thought those looked pretty good for Lager temps. I thought steam beer was Lager yeast at warmer temps... Now I'm all confused
-Ben

A California Common is a beer brewed with Lager yeast at warmer (but not really warm temperatures. I ferment my Common at 56 to 58 degrees using Wyeast #2124 (Bohemia) and it works just fine.

The 48 degrees would be a good primary fermentation temperature for a true lager (that actual fermentation temp will be closer to 50-52), but you then need to drop the temperature gradually down to around freezing. The California Common is generally "lagered" at around 50 degrees after primary fermentation, so you could probably ferment it in the basement and finish it in the garage.

You,re getting real close to the traditional brewing time for a Bock. Maybe after the first of the year. Mmmmmm yummy!

What about an Octoberfest? It may be out of season, we could call it, February-fest or something. Is Octoberfest too difficult for a first timer.
-Ben

Back