First Keezer Build - Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum. I moved to the USA from Ireland about 2.5 years ago. I have two big hobbies that seem to work well here, BBQ and meat curing as well as beer drinking! I got my first Kegerator last year and used it just for domestic beers to sip over the summer. However, I really miss decent Guinness from home so I have started a project to see if I can get it right.

I picked up this chest freezer for free on a local consignment page. I set about building a base with castors to make it moveable and I have just started to construct a frame. I used a 6inch collar (despite the fact that I will be using towers I wanted something that I could run my temp controller through, perhaps mount some leds or something.

My plan is to put 2 towers. One to the left (nitro mix for Guinness only - with it's own drip tray) and one to the right (twin CO2 tap for craft). You see any challenges with this?

Next step is deciding what to do. I was going to panel the front and sides with plywood, making it a box shape. Then using 1inch X 4inch timber perhaps put a 'panel' effect one it. Make it look more like a cabinet.

For the top (bar) I was going to do a 4ft X 2ft bar top of plywood and then cut 2inchX6inch sheets and put them on top of that to make a bar top.

For mounting the towers I guess that means I'll need to cut through the panels, the plywood and the refrigerator.... eek!

Anyway, any guidance at this stage is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220111_111745.jpg
    20220111_111745.jpg
    826 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220111_115524.jpg
    20220111_115524.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220112_094716.jpg
    20220112_094716.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 55
You could do 2 towers, or you could do 1 tower with a dedicated stout faucet and run your nitro to that one. You can cut through the lid just be careful of wires if it has light on the lid. I put all my taps on the collar so I dont have any experience with towers but obviously make sure your lines are long enough for when you open the lid. Nitro is next on my list of things to add to my keezer, hope yours turn out well, look like your off to a good start.

You could do 2 towers, or you could do 1 tower with a dedicated stout faucet and run your nitro to that one. You can cut through the lid just be careful of wires if it has light on the lid. I put all my taps on the collar so I dont have any experience with towers but obviously make sure your lines are long enough for when you open the lid. Nitro is next on my list of things to add to my keezer, hope yours turn out well, look like your off to a good start.

The only reason for 2 towers is back in Ireland I have a really nice Guinness tap handle and faucet that will fit an existing tower and I think it will look better stand alone. It's old school design but still stainless steel etc so I'd like to use it as it's own independent. Then keep the second tower as a simple 2 perlick tower. Both with their own drip trays.

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't even considered the slack I'd need on the lines for when I open the lid! Glad I asked for guidance!! :)

@elmo Those freezers use the sides for heat transfer, so keep that in mind, if you glue to the skin of the freezer, it has to work much harder to do its job.
Most leave an airspace and have a fan in the area to move the air, that are often times referred to as a coffin keezer.

Now if you were to be able to achieve your look with appliance paint, that could be another option.

@elmo Those freezers use the sides for heat transfer, so keep that in mind, if you glue to the skin of the freezer, it has to work much harder to do its job.
Most leave an airspace and have a fan in the area to move the air, that are often times referred to as a coffin keezer.

Now if you were to be able to achieve your look with appliance paint, that could be another option.

Since the top post I have built a frame, leaving a 2 inch (at least) air pocket on all sides (except the lid). The rear is not enclosed at all, completely open (the original freezer wall. Do you think this will help?

I was looking at getting this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NVC1DS/?tag=forumyield-20&th=1 so I could put the two fans on the sides, just simply circulating air (if that helps?)

What do you think>

Updated to give more info on what I mean. Panel front and two sides and build some sort of bar top.....

Attachments

• 20220112_143712.jpg
    20220112_143712.jpg
    916.6 KB · Views: 59
The chest freezer that I have, uses the front and both sides for cooling.

A simple test is, to plug it in and see what/where it gets warm.
I suspect that it uses the front as well.

Couple of updates on this. It slowed down over the week but back at it this weekend.

After taking the advice above I built the 'box' on three sizes, but I fitted small inch fan each side pointing down, in an attempt to deflect any heat that might gather on those sides, out through the bottom (where it is open and has about 6 inches in height before the floor).

I bought a simple 1inch pine 4ft X 2ft top to use as the bar top. It's lightweight. However I will have a 1inch X4inch trim on all sides complete just to add onto the front and give the bar top the visual perspective of depth

I will be using the same 1inch X 4inch to trim the main 'box' before I stain it.

Couple of questions for you - I'm confused with some of my couplers and lines if anybody has the time to help me out I'd appreciate it in my other thread.

What kind of sealant do you use for the top of the bar, I was thinking quite a generous layering of matt polyeurethane over my stain of choice?
Is there a keg tower gasket size I should use for the tower when securing it to the bar top (and screw recommendations in fact)?
Between my Guinness faucet and the tower unit itself, should there be an O Ring to seal it? Any ideas on the size?

Next step is to cut the holes for the tower. I'm scared!

Attachments

• BarProgress.jpg
    BarProgress.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 27
  • GuinnessFaucet.jpg
    GuinnessFaucet.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 27
A long time has passed and I realized I never updated this! So it's all finished (for now).
I have two towers. One is strictly for Guinness and the other I rotate with whatever I have at a given time.

I added castors to allow it to be moved outside for parties and summer time etc. I added tower coolers to prepare for the warmer weather too (absolute game changer).

Stained and covered with polyeurethene for some protection.
Added a good fan to keep air circulated and used the inkbird temp control unit.

I'm really happy with how it all turned out!

Attachments

• 20220506_161437.jpg
    20220506_161437.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220506_161456.jpg
    20220506_161456.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Back