First Irish Red - Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamw

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Doing an Irish Red soon; my first. What do you think of this recipe? Its a variation of Saccharomyces' recipe from the database.

6lb Maris Otter
2lb Vienna
1lb CaraRed
6oz Roasted Barley (300L)

Mash at ~153 for 60min

1oz Hallertauer @60min

US-05 Dry Yeast

Appreciate any input!:mug:

Hi Guys,

Doing an Irish Red soon; my first. What do you think of this recipe? Its a variation of Saccharomyces' recipe from the database.

6lb Maris Otter
2lb Vienna
1lb CaraRed
6oz Roasted Barley (300L)

Mash at ~153 for 60min

1oz Hallertauer @60min

US-05 Dry Yeast

Appreciate any input!:mug:

I like it, and would drink it! However, it's not a traditional Irish red. Usually, an Irish red has some light and dark crystal and then an Irish ale yeast for the fruity flavors, as well as British hops. I think the recipe looks good and I think it'll taste great, but it won't be a "real" Irish red at all.

What if I swapped the yeast for US-04, and added some crystal 60 that I've got around? I'm not so concerned about it being "traditional" but more so with it being smooth and low enough on the IBUs to show off the malts.

What if I swapped the yeast for US-04, and added some crystal 60 that I've got around? I'm not so concerned about it being "traditional" but more so with it being smooth and low enough on the IBUs to show off the malts.

Yes, maybe 1/2 of the carared (about 20L I think) and 1/2 60L and the S04, fermented at about 65 degrees for a few esters? That may be more "Irish red like". I'd rather see a 1/3 pound 40L and 1/3 pound 120L, though, for that typical "dry" Irish red feel and taste.

Back