First IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hvyme7al

Reaction score
Hey everyone, brewing an IPA this weekend and just curious if anyone has experience with my ingredients... Would love some thoughts on it.

From Beersmith:

5 gallon batch
60 minute boil

OG: 1.059
FG: 1.011
IBU: 74.2
Color: 6 SRM
ABV: 6.3%
Bitterness Ratio: 1.262

Grain:
Pale Malt - 54.5%
Pilsner Malt - 38.5%
Caramel/Crystal 40 - 4.0%
Cara-Pils/Dextrine - 3.0%

Hops:
1.0 oz Warrior - 60 min
0.5 oz Amarillo - 20 min
0.5 oz Centennial - 20 min
0.5 oz Amarillo - 10 min
0.5 oz Centennial - 10 min
0.5 oz Amarillo - 5 min
0.5 oz Centennial - 5 min
1.0 oz Amarillo - 0 min
1.0 oz Centennial - 0 min
3.0 oz Amarillo - Dry Hop (3 days)
3.0 oz Centennial - Dry Hop (3 days)

Yeast:
California Ale (WLP001)

Looking forward to hearing people's feedback! Cheers!

imho you put way to much hops. in 5 gal batch no need to put more then 2 oz in late boil and 3 oz in dh.more its not always better with hop

I'm ok with the list, but maybe 60, 30, 15, 5, 0.

Might also extend the dry hops to 7 days instead of 3, but I'm just a creature of habit.

Yeah, I was debating 3 or 5 and I might do 1.5 oz of each for 3 days and then remove it and add 1.5 oz of each for 2 days for 5 days total in hopes to taste fresh and avoid grassy taste

I dunno, doesn't look like too many hops to me :) I would go for it as is!

The boil hops look great to me but I'd go for 2oz each in the dry hop rather than 3. Especially if you want to avoid that grassy taste.

I would do a hopstand with your flame-out hops.

Either cool to less than 190, add the hops, and let it stand for 20 minutes (with frequent stirring), then finish cooling and add to fermentor. If you can't do the partial cooling, still let the flame-out hops stand for 20 minutes.

If you are going to reduce dry hops, which is probably a good idea, add those to the flameout addition.

I have gotten to the point where I do only 60 minute, a little at 20 minutes, and a whole bunch at flame-out and dry hop (10-12 oz. total) for my 10 gallon system. Through trial and error, and lots of advice from HBT, this has proven to give the best hop flavor and aroma for me.

KEEP THE DRY HOP AS IS!!! I love huge dry hop additions. It does so much for a hoppy beer. You won't regret it. I think it should turn out great.

imho you put way to much hops. in 5 gal batch no need to put more then 2 oz in late boil and 3 oz in dh.more its not always better with hop

If making a standard 'pale ale' this may be the case. For bold hops 3 ounces is minimal late boil.

I am curious about your grain bill, grain percentage is great and all, but all our efficiency's are different and my gravity could differ from yours which could affect the hop utilization and final IBU's, probably a non point but curious none the less.

I did a similar recipe recently except for a tad lighter in caramel/crystal. Beer came out spectacular....probably my best IPA so far. I did a 90 min boil, used 1oz bittering and the rest was late additions (15min, 5min and flame out). Make sure you whirlpool or at least hop stand for 30min. I did 2 dry hops (1.5oz+1.5oz, 5 days and another 1.5+1.5, 5 days). You can't go wrong with all those hops so definitely use them.

Back