First Infection I think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saboral

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413335871.971969.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1413335893.416368.jpg

So my beer had these visuals when I went to keg tonight. When transferring to secondary I added pumpkin spice without sanitizing it, like an idiot.

Usually I add it to the boil at flame out and don't have problems for obvious reasons.

Anyways I went ahead and kegged it because I didn't smell anything out of the ordinary. Thoughts on what this might be?

Everything I've ever read says it won't hurt to drink it so we'll find out tomorrow evening.

Maybe it is just coagulated pumpkin spice? I only know what an infection looks like from when I had a leaky tap and the whole keg ran into the garbage can being used as an ice bucket. I then let it sit for a few days until I had a chance to clean it out. That was a big mistake, the smell could kill you.

I don't think you have an infection. Unless there is sugar in the spice mix you used, there isn't a lot there for bacteria too live on, and bacteria pretty much never work that quickly. Looks like it might be krausen debris to me or pumpkin/krausen debris perhaps? When did the pumpkin go in?

If it smelled and tasted fine, I think you're just fine. Spices historically are used to preserve food, so it's not likely they introduced anything that's going to ruin your beer.

I'm not seeing "infection" in those pictures.

Take a shot of the surface next time. It's a lot more telling than close-ups of congealed trub 'n' yeast...

Cheers!

The second picture is from the surface. I agree that it's probably fine. Smelled great, I try to avoid tasting till its carbonated.

^ he was letting you know for future reference, a broader view is more helpful then a close up of the sludge on the surface. Both are more helpful then one or the other....

Back