First Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how to describe it. I've never tasted anything like it before. It doesn't seem to taste the way people describe infected beer, so I don't think its infected. It just smelled gross and tasted nasty throughout the whole process. I thought that maybe after it carbed up and got cold it would be better, but no. I can't stand to drink it. It doesn't even taste like beer. It tastes more like a chemical or something.

I just bottled my second batch and it actually tasted good when I sampled it, so maybe it will turn out better. I keep telling myself that there are thousands of homebrewers on the internet who all love to do it, and if they can do it then so can I.

Does it taste like a band-aid? Buttery taste? Corn taste? What was the recipe? Nasty is relative, so its hard to tell what's going on.

It was a recipe called Fools Gold Amber that I found on Beersmith. I'm not really trying to pin down what went wrong, just venting.

I'm curious what you mean by ropey? I cant recall tasting anything like that before, but i'm intrigued.

Ropey is a texture/mouthfeel. An extreme way to think of ropey would be if you were pouring a beer and stopped, would some of it suck back up into the bottle. :p If you can envision what a liquid that would do that would feel like, that's ropey. Put another way, I've also heard the texture referred to as "snotty". Ropey is the more delicate way to put it.

At least that's my take on ropey.

Sorry your first one is nasty. If your warm, flat, gravity samples at least taste "decent" the beer will turn out good.

I'm gonna make a leap of logic here. You are from TX, it's the height of a hot disgusting summer. Was the temperature about 80 F around your fermentation? That would be a huge factor. I am learning to brew, started about two months ago. Summer is not a good time to start, apparently.

Yeah, it was about 80 for the first 2 days, then I got a fermentaion chiller and cooled it down to around 68 for the rest of the time. Looking back on it I made a lot of mistakes along the way. I killed the first batch of yeast I used by leaving it in my car in the hot Texas sun for 3 days before I pitched it, so I had too pitch another. My cleanliness and sterilization probably wasn't what it should have been either.

My second batch went a lot smoother. It should turn out better.

BrewKnurd said:
Ropey is a texture/mouthfeel. An extreme way to think of ropey would be if you were pouring a beer and stopped, would some of it suck back up into the bottle. :p If you can envision what a liquid that would do that would feel like, that's ropey. Put another way, I've also heard the texture referred to as "snotty". Ropey is the more delicate way to put it.

At least that's my take on ropey.

Happens with beers soured with lactic, I believe.

Happens with beers soured with lactic, I believe.

Various sour beer brewers will tell you different stories about whether the beer should ever get "sick" like that, but vinnie at russian river and jean at cantillon both talk about their beers get sick, and those two guys are responsible for the best sour beers I've had, so I am content to take their word that good sour beer goes through a sick phase.

Yeah, it was about 80 for the first 2 days, then I got a fermentaion chiller and cooled it down to around 68 for the rest of the time. Looking back on it I made a lot of mistakes along the way. I killed the first batch of yeast I used by leaving it in my car in the hot Texas sun for 3 days before I pitched it, so I had too pitch another. My cleanliness and sterilization probably wasn't what it should have been either.

My second batch went a lot smoother. It should turn out better.

Supposedly the first 48 ours are the most important as far as temp is concerned.I plan on keeping my next brew under 68F for at least 68F for 3 days to see.

Back