First homebrew! Take a look!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan19993

Reaction score
Golden ale, tell me what you think. Only been carbonating for 6 days!

image-2350788178.jpg

In a keg or bottle? If its a bottle, that looks a bit overcarbed, I'd keep an eye out for bombs. If not, looking good!

twistr25 said:
In a keg or bottle? If its a bottle, that looks a bit overcarbed, I'd keep an eye out for bombs. If not, looking good!

Agreed! That's very carbonated!

Yup, that looks tasty but a little over carbonated. BTW, is that a frosty glass?............?YOu might enjoy the beer better in an unfrosted glass, give the next one a try:)

Bottle carbonated...

Crap... I used 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar for the 5 gallon batch I made. It had been fermenting for. 2 1/2 weeks, then I bottled. Yes, it's a frosted glass as well. Could that have anything to do with the head?

Bottle carbonated...

Crap... I used 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar for the 5 gallon batch I made. It had been fermenting for. 2 1/2 weeks, then I bottled. Yes, it's a frosted glass as well. Could that have anything to do with the head?

Much better to weigh out priming sugar rather than volume. Did you bottle a full 5 gallons or less? You need to calculate based on the actual volume bottled, not batch size.

Frosted glassware can zap the aromas and flavors of the beer right out from under your nose, literally and yes an ice cold glass can cause the head to froth up and then dissipate quickly but not always.

Be careful with the bottles and place them in a covered plastic tub in case they decide to blow. Otherwise get them all in the refrigerator to halt any further secondary fermentation.

I use 3/4 cup of corn sugar for most of my batches, and they turn out just right.

I got impatient with my first batch (a kölsch) and had one at 6 days. It looked just like the one in your hand. After another week and a half, the bubbles mellowed out, the head calmed down, and all my beers were at just the right level.

I say you're just fine, just a little impatient (who isn't?). Just give it time and your beer will be fine. :mug:

Your beer looks great. I think you should send me one. I would not worry about bottle bombs with your 3/4 cup of sugar in your bottling bucket. 1,345,431,987,408 bottles of home brew have been bottled in this fashion.

Enjoy your beer.

That could just be a fairly aggressive pour, not necessarily overcarbonation. Just looks like bubbles clinging to the side of a dirty (and frosted) glass.

For most beers 3/4 cup of corn sugar is too much for 5 gallons (especially if it's 5 gallons in the fermenter, meaning after loss to yeast less than that actually gets bottled). Plenty of priming sugar calculators out there. As has already been said, go by weight of sugar, not volume, bottle per batch size (I put 5 gallons in the fermenter, and assume 4.5 in the bottling bucket, and am usually close enough, so I calculate my sugar for 4.5 gallons). And then carbonate based on the style you're brewing. 5 oz (what the 3/4 cup is based on, but it's not always exactly 5 oz, it can be more or less depending on sugar manufacturer) is too much sugar for most styles.

At six days the carbonation is not properly in solution and could easily foam more than it will after the proper 3 weeks of bottle conditioning. There is a Youtube video where someone opened a beer every day. Under a week they all foamed over, after 3 weeks they poured perfectly.

Back