First Helles is a bit fruity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhog

Reaction score
So, I've made a few lagers before but never one as light as a Helles. Everything else has had a strong flavor background ruachbier, and very hoppy pilsners. I just racked it to a keg with biofine after lagering for 2 months, but it's a little fruity. It's nothing offensive, but it's certainly not to style and not what I wanted in a Helles. I am not sure if this is because it needs a little more time to settle out, or if maybe I had a yeast issue. Any of you Helles brewers find this to be the case with yours?

Edit: I guess I should add that I am 95% sure it's an acetaldehyde problem. But after 2 months of lagering, I can't believe it's still there.

Last edited:
Lagering doesn't clean up acetaldehyde, if that's what causing the "fruity." Normally, active yeast clean up acetaldehyde toward the end of fermentation. But if beer is packaged and cooled before it's cleaned up to below taste threshold level, it can be a problem. Acetaldehyde can also be formed after fermentation, by oxidation of ethanol.

Usually though, when I hear "fruity," I'd suspect excess esters, which are typically caused by high temperatures fairly early on in fermentation. With lagers, "high" fermentation temperatures could mean temperatures in the mid to high 50s, depending on the lager strain.

If it were still in the fermenter you could have tried krausening, brewing an ale, let's say blonde ale something light in color, and then taking some of that during active fermentation and adding to the Helles...and then the live yeast would scrub the acetaldehyde hopefully. However, when you say fruity, what kind of fruit? Is it green apple or something else?

Latest posts

Back