First Full Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMG680

Reaction score
So i Just started my first full boil, and it is taking for ever to boil on the Turkey fryer, but that is fine.

As for the Bittering Hops, the kit calls for 3/4 oz on a partial boil... So does 1/2 oz for full sound right? You guys are great, and thanks in advance.

This should be my best beer yet.

:mug:

Ok here it is.

1/4 lb Honey malt
2 lb 2 Row
1/2 Flaked barley

Extract
4 lb Extra Pale Extract
1 lb honey

Hops Bittering
3/4 Amarillo hops 60 min

This is the partial boil, Also, should I add the left over hops for flavor or aroma?

Thanks y'all

When I run that through Beersmith with the amarillo at 8.2% AAUs, I get only 12 IBUs for a partial boil, and 20 IBUs for a full boil. That seems low, but I guess it's a kind of "honey blonde" ale so that might be expected. I don't think I'd reduce the hops in this case- 12 IBUs just seems way too low.

You can add the hops for aroma if you want- I love amarillo hops and think it would give it some nice aroma and flavor. What do you want out of this beer?

going for a beer the swmbo would like, see is a Shiner, Blue moon type. So I think I will go with the 3/4 oz for a full. 20 IBU is not that bad for her. Thanks for your help.

PS full boils boil over fast..... should have gone with 10 Gallon and not 8.5

EDIT: Update

Came out wonderful. OG 1.042, and right at 5.25 Gallons. Should be a nice beer.

Just drank the first of this brew, and wow. It was great. Full boil only for me now. This is by far he best I have brewed and the only one I would be proud to call my own. Thanks Homebrewtalk for making this possible.

Back