First custom recipe - opinions wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcray

Reaction score
So, I'm still pretty new to AG and so far I've stuck to existing recipes from online stores with varying degrees of success. I've got my own mill on it's way to try and get rid of some of the efficiency problems I've been having.

Having said that, the first custom recipe I'd like to try using my new mill is a SMaSH with Golden Promise and Cascade. I'd like to hear the board's thoughts on it:

Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 6.5 gal
OG: 1.057
FG: 1.014
Bitterness (IBU): 41.7
Color (SRM): 5.1
ABV: 5.6%

[Grains]
Golden Promise Malt 10.000lb Grain 100.0%

[Hops]
Cascade 1.00oz 6.6% AA Pellet @ 60 min, 24.1 IBU
Cascade 0.50oz 6.6% AA Pellet @ 30 min, 9.3 IBU
Cascade 0.50oz 6.6% AA Pellet @ 15 min, 6.0 IBU
Cascade 0.50oz 6.6% AA Pellet @ 5 min, 2.4 IBU
Cascade 1.50oz 6.6% AA Pellet @ Dry Hop

[Yeast/Other]
American Ale yeast 1.0 unit(s), Yeast Safale US-05

[Recipe Notes]
Mash at 152° for 60 minutes. Dry hop for 7 days after primary fermentation is complete.

By the way, the formatting comes from the BrewR Android app. Anyone else use it? It's great!

To be blunt, it's a SMaSH...there is really nothing to critique. With a SMaSH you essentially just decide how bitter you want it and go from there. Your recipe looks good. Should have some nice hop presence from the late additions there.

I did notice your mash temp. I like to raise the mash temp a bit to 156ish to help give it a chance for a bit more body since with only the base grain a SMaSH can be thin.

As you designed it, it will be good though.

To be blunt, it's a SMaSH...there is really nothing to critique. With a SMaSH you essentially just decide how bitter you want it and go from there. Your recipe looks good. Should have some nice hop presence from the late additions there.

I did notice your mash temp. I like to raise the mash temp a bit to 156ish to help give it a chance for a bit more body since with only the base grain a SMaSH can be thin.

As you designed it, it will be good though.

Yeah, I figured it was pretty simplistic but that's what I'm shooting for as I learn to start formulating my own recipes. I definitely appreciate the mash temp suggestion. I don't want to have it thin so I'll up the temp.

8oz caramunich or some other crystal and some wheat, munich or vienna. Just about every smash I've made I spend the whole time drinking them thinking of how it could have been better if I would have just added some malts for character. Some might toast a pound or so, but then it's not really a SMaSH anymore.

Back