First brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopMama

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew my first batch of beer! No home brew to drink yet, so a Dirt Wolf will see me through. Please wish me some good beer making karma....I'm a nervous wreck, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395421371.946916.jpg

Have fun, sanitize, sanitize, sanitize. Then have some more fun, and beer. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-T217S using Home Brew mobile app

^

I see your doing an extract, It's pretty cut and dry, but here's a tip, save some of that extract toward the end of the boil and then pour it in, helps avoid an extract twang flavor. Good luck !

Thanks! I haven't poured it yet, and I'll do that:)

I just survived my first hot break....holy crap! I am very thankful for my spray bottle of water!

^

Great ! Now you should be at a rolling boil for a little while, or you can start cooling it now (Extracts are already boiled once)...

If you have no wort chiller, put your pot in the sink and give it an ice/water bath until it's cool enough to pitch the yeast.............

If I am using 3 gallons of cold water (40 degrees) what temp should my wort be before I can safely pitch my yeast?

^

You can pitch it now. When fermentation starts in 24-48 hrs, the vessel will get warm. Leave it on a cold basement floor, inside a shower, or a water cooler, etc to keep your fermentation temps in range......68-72 degrees is fine.

You want to follow your yeast packets temps. It will give you a range like 62-70 or so. Try to stay at the lower end of the range. Are you doing a 5 gallon batch, if so use cooled top off water that will help get your temps down fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I pitched the yeast at 73 degrees. I have it fermenting in my bedroom for now, as it stays pretty cool in that part of the house. Thank you everyone:)

73 maybe high, cause while fermenting, you'll prolly have +/- 78F, see if you can find a cooler spot...

My bedroom stays around 60 degrees, because it's an addition to our house, and our stove heat doesn't seem to reach us back there. We heat with a wood stove, and keep our bedroom thermostat set at 60 degrees. This isn't ideal in the wintertime (brrrr, extra blankets!) I'm not sure what the beer temp is at, but I checked it this morning, as soon as I got up, and I have bubbles going gently in my airlock:) I'm too wimpy to carry the setup down to the basement, but I might have my husband take it down soon. It is finally starting to feel like spring in Pennsylvania, and it's slowly warming up around here:) I didn't take in to consideration that the temp would rise slightly during fermentation....hopefully my cold bedroom counteracted that a little bit. Thanks for the advice!

I used my bottling bucket to ferment. I realize now that might not have been the best idea. From what I've read I have a couple different options. A. In a week I can rack to my cleaned, and sanitized carboy, and do a secondary ferment for a week or two, then rack to the the empty, clean and sanitized bottling bucket to prime and bottle. Or B. leave it in the bucket for two weeks or so, then carefully prime, and bottle from the bottling bucket with a siphon. Which would be the best way to go? I plan on getting a hose to use as a blow off tube, so I can do my primary ferment in a carboy next time. Geesh, I hope I didn't mess this batch up already:(

Bah, don't worry. Let your primary go on for closer to 3 week to let the yeasties finish the party. While most of the fermentation should be complete, they will clean up after their self. Leaving a cleaner tasting beer. I would rack to your carboy then, if only to clean the bottling bucket.

To properly prime, I would add the priming solution to the bottling bucket first, and siphon your brew on top of that. It helps mix the sugars better.

Jupapabear

So I could wait three weeks, rack to a clean carboy, clean and sanitize my bucket, rack back to the bottling bucket, and prime and bottle the same day? As long as I don't let the beer splash around a lot, I won't oxidize it? Thanks for the advice, and encouragement:)

You could. Were it me, I would allow the carboy to sit for a few days in the fridge to cold crash, settling most of the yeast and clearing your beer, prior to racking to you bottling bucket. Some time I cannot afford the space in my fridge, so I just give it a week in the pantry (low 60s) before bottling.

Jupapabear

Got my first brew in fermenter too. Hasn't been giving anything off yet from what I can tell. It's 64 degrees now and was about 68 when I first pitched it yesterday afternoon. It's been good reading comments here for future advice. Is it worth doing the secondary fermentation? I have it in a 5 gallon ferm. bucket now. Should I leave it there for 2 weeks and then prime bottling bucket and siphon over? And how long, if at all, does it have to sit in the bottles before drinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That sounds good to me! I'll let the carboy get a bit before bottling. I never have room in my fridge. I have two little kids, so for now most of my fridge real estate is devoted to milk:)

Yay for you, pamoose:) I believe I read to bottle condition for two to three weeks. I think I'm going to wait the three weeks....but I'm probably going to try at least one bottle after two weeks:)

That sounds good to me! I'll let the carboy get a bit before bottling. I never have room in my fridge. I have two little kids, so for now most of my fridge real estate is devoted to milk:)

Like others said, just let it sit in the wrong vessel for a couple weeks, then rack it to the carboy. Just leave the carboy sitting in your bedroom as well.

Ok...my beer was 73 degrees when I took my beginning gravity last Friday, it was 1.050. I used the correction chart that came with my hydrometer, and it came out to 1.051. The brew stats on the kit instructions say my beginning gravity would range 1.043-1.045. I checked the gravity today out of curiosity, and it is 1.020. Is my beer jacked up? Do I need to wait until it is down to 1.010 to consider fermentation done? I plan on letting it sit in the primary for three weeks anyway....should I just leave it alone, and not worry about checking the gravity until it has sat a full three weeks? On the plus side, I tasted some of reading, as I didn't sanitize the testing jar, and had to dump it. I did sanitize my baster. I think it's coming along nicely....much less sharp and "green" than it was just a week ago:)

Should I be concerned about the original gravity being off from what the kit said it should be? I took my reading after topping off with water....does that affect the reading?

I usually put the hydrometer into the wort, then add my top off water while keeping an eye on where the gravity should be. You were about 6 points up, so your ABV may be a little higher which is always a good thing. I think you'll be fine. You made beer regardless........

Thanks! Next time I will check the wort before I top it off. Should I get the wort down to 60 before I add any extra water? Will any extra water I need after that be room temperature? If the wort is too cold, will it affect the yeast after I pitch it?

It doesn't matter when you add top off water, the only concern at that point is making sure the wort is cool enough before you pitch the yeast, mid 60's for ales is what I shoot for, and I don't think it hurt if you did pitch it while the wort was a little cooler, it warmed up anyway (really warmed up!) when fermentation got going. Ale yeast is pretty tough!!....

Bottled my beer on Saturday:) Can't wait to taste it in a week or two!

Bottled my beer on Saturday:) Can't wait to taste it in a week or two!

Its pretty satisfying when you have made your first batch. There will always be a special place in your brewing memory for your first official batch. Congrats and I hope it turns out!

I just ordered a partial mash oatmeal stout kit. Brewing beer could be my new favorite hobby!

Latest posts

Back