My Very First Home Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave77

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, am so excited, I had to post this. A picture of my very first pint of home brew! This is an Amber Ale recipe (and it doesn't suck! LOL). Although it doesn't have quite the carbonation I had hoped for, it's very, very good. Can't wait to brew my next batch!

1.jpg

If your brew is bottled it may take up to 3 weeks for the beer to form a good, long lasting head. I've opened a bottle at 24 hours and while I could hear the psst of carbon dioxide escaping when I popped the cap, my beer looked a lot like yours. At a week it had a semi-decent head but it wouldn't last. At 2 weeks it formed a pretty good head but lacing on the glass was poor. At 3 weeks it would form a real good head that lasted until the glass was empty which would take 20 to 30 minutes of slow sipping and the glass had lacing the whole way.

If your brew is bottled it may take up to 3 weeks for the beer to form a good, long lasting head. I've opened a bottle at 24 hours and while I could hear the psst of carbon dioxide escaping when I popped the cap, my beer looked a lot like yours. At a week it had a semi-decent head but it wouldn't last. At 2 weeks it formed a pretty good head but lacing on the glass was poor. At 3 weeks it would form a real good head that lasted until the glass was empty which would take 20 to 30 minutes of slow sipping and the glass had lacing the whole way.
Thanks for that. Yeah, I probably didn't leave it long enough, but was really eager to try it. LOL

Thanks for that. Yeah, I probably didn't leave it long enough, but was really eager to try it. LOL
A nice thing about bottling is when you’re impatient just cracking one as a preview leaves several still to let wait.

One of my early bottled batches I had an issue with carbonation. Some bottles were flat like yours and some just right and some over carbed. I had been thinking a lot about oxygenation and really gently stirred in the priming sugar. I was apparently too gentle.

So there’s still hope that you’ll have a later one better carbed. For that batch I did like that the well carbed bottles were outstanding. Rest were drinkable lol

Ok, am so excited, I had to post this. A picture of my very first pint of home brew! This is an Amber Ale recipe (and it doesn't suck! LOL). Although it doesn't have quite the carbonation I had hoped for, it's very, very good. Can't wait to brew my next batch!

View attachment 817799
I thought I had bottle conditioning issues on my second every batch, but they improved with time. I also had poor seals on a few....so you never know! But that looks delicious well done!

I thought I had bottle conditioning issues on my second every batch, but they improved with time. I also had poor seals on a few....so you never know! But that looks delicious well done!
Yup, learning as I go, but having fun with it and enjoying the results even if they aren't perfect. Picking up ingredients today for a Pale Ale, and am also going to do my first apple cider. :)

Back