First Brew Success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kieran

Reaction score
Last summer I picked up a copy of How To Brew because I wanted to make my own beer. Fast forward to the present and I finally collected enough equipment to make my first extract batch, NB's Bourbon Barrel Porter. The few months I've spent reading HBT really paid off, because my first brew day went by without so much as a hiccup.

I'm using a 20 gallon Bling-mann because I wanted to eventually go up to 10-12 gallon batches. I used Beersmith to convert the recipe to a full boil, because 2.5 gallons in that pot would have been embarrassing. If any other noobs want some advice, here is what I did for a full boil:

1) Steep the specialty grains in 1.5 gallons of water in a smaller stovetop pot. I brought the water up to 164, wrapped in a towel, and the grain was at 153 when I pulled it out 30 minutes later.
2) I brought 5.25 gallons to a boil in the Blichmann and then added the specialty grain wort, bringing the volume up to about 6.6 gallons. I ended up with 5.4 gallons post-boil, with about 5 going into the carboy.
3) Adjust the hop schedule to 0.65 oz of Chinook at 60 minutes, and then 0.35 oz for each of the Gouldings additions to account for utilization for the full boil.

I hooked up a stainless steel immersion chiller from NYBrewSupply to a 3/8" compression tee and hose bibb under the kitchen sink. I thought this was an easier route to go than messing around with an aerator conversion kit. It worked surprisingly well. I got down into the 80s in about 15 minutes, and brought it down to 65 in another 10. Racked to a carboy, shook the crap out of it, and then pitched my Wyeast 1728 starter.

I was super proud of myself when the refractometer read 1.065, spot on with the recipe :mug: So there's my obligatory first brew thread.

brew19.jpg

brew27.jpg

brew34.jpg

Looks good, let us know how the primary goes. I've got mine stuck at 1.030 and am almost to the point of repitching to get it movin again. ( been about 6 days stuck)

It looks good, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the hell out of the beer!

Nice Bling-Mann too. You seem a little like me when it comes to this stuff. Get in with the good stuff from the beginning.
Be warned though, you'll likely be spending more money on AG gear sooner than you may think ;)

Assuming that is a 6.5gal carboy, you're right, it does look a little low.
Didn't even notice that!

Why is your carboy so empty?

It is a 6.5 gallon carboy. I thought it looked a little empty too, but I'm ok with a smaller batch if my gravity was right on. The only explanation I can think of is that maybe my pot wasn't level and was leaning towards the sight glass, though I can't imagine it leaning that far. I'll have to get an identical carboy to see how much is really in there.

It looks good, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the hell out of the beer!

Nice Bling-Mann too. You seem a little like me when it comes to this stuff. Get in with the good stuff from the beginning.
Be warned though, you'll likely be spending more money on AG gear sooner than you may think ;)

One step ahead of you :)
An identical Blichmann w/ false bottom that I'll be using as my MLT when I get to all grain...

blichmann.jpg

Thanks Jerry! Fermentation is off to a strong start. Came home to a nice krausen today after 24 hours.

krausen7.jpg

Very cool. I just brewed this same beer on Saturday for my second batch. My OG was 1.067 (target of 1.065). Had some pretty intense fermentation about 18 hours in...beer in the airlock and all...first time using a yeast starter. I think I'll be doing that fairly often from now on.

I'm excited to add the oak chips soaked in some Woodford Reserve (we're calling this batch "The Wofo") and see how that turns out. It's a beer that will be near and dear to my heart, as I grew up in Woodford County, Kentucky.

Looks like you've got some high quality stuff for your first brew. Nice work.

We'll have to compare notes when they're both done.

Update

I bought another 6.5 gallon carboy from Brew & Grow in Chicago, to match the one I already had. I brewed a nut brown ale today, and used it as an opportunity to check I was getting the right volumes. I second guessed myself and didn't bring the initial volume up to 6.6 gallons... did 6.5 instead. I am getting around 1.5 gallons of boil off in 60 minutes on my Blichmann.

Anyways, I ended up with about 4.9 gallons in the new carboy, which was 1/4" below the batch featured in this thread. I was worried from comments that I had a really small batch, but it looks like I'm fine :)

I almost had a freak out moment this evening. I took a sample to get gravity reading (and a taste). I measured 1.034 and my pulse shot through the roof thinking about a stalled ferment.

Then I remembered I was using a refractometer and needed to make a conversion. My gravity is actually 1.015, about 6.6 ABV and 76% apparent attenuation. Not too shabby. I'm going to measure again this weekend and probably go ahead and rack onto the oak chips.

Edit:
I forgot to add that my first taste of my first homebrew tasted awesome. I could easily drink this porter without the oak chips.

Gravity was steady so I racked on to the oak chips and 16 oz of Makers Mark. Going to let this ride in the secondary for a couple months and then split it between two 3 gallon kegs... one to drink and one to forget about in the closet for awhile.

The 1728 left behind a nice solid cake, so I am going to put a batch of Brandon O's Graff Cider on it.

In a true test of patience, I have yet to keg my first beer. This is still sitting on the oak and bourbon!

Holy Cow Man. You haven't drank any of your first brew yet, and it's been almost 6 months? Color me impressed.

Finally gave in and kegged this :) Tastes absolutely incredible after aging on the oak for so long. The oak and bourbon flavor is definitely more unique than anything I've tried before. Going to save some of it in a few bombers to see how the flavors develop over the years.

401136_577056372784_54300146_31565138_1513503437_n.jpg

Back