First Brew Started!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeretheBrews

Reaction score
Hey all. I just started my first ever batch. it is still boiling. I ran into a little confusion early on but I managed. I am making a honey porter. It said to put 2 gallons of water, and place grain bag in it. Then bring up to 155 to degrees and steep for 10-30 minutes. I did htis. Then I got thinking that I need to bring it to heat first then place it in. But oh well. Well I will post back as soon as I get going really good with it.

Update :

Just added 2 lbs of honey at 30 minutes. Waiting until final 2 mins to add aroma hops. Should I add sooner for a hoppy aroma? or just follow directions?

Also how do i tell if water is too warm ot too cold for yeast to hyrdrate?

I guess just lukewarm water with my finger?

I boiled 1/3 cup and it is cooled now.. Should I heat that up fro the yeast?

If i dont have a spigot on my primary? I have to buckets and a carboy... i used the bucket without the spigot.. how do I siphon into my carboy?

Alright. It has cooled to 80. I hydrated hte yeast and pitched it... Gave it a good stir. Air-locked at stored. My room stays above 60... its about 63-65 will this be ok? Im doing double fermentation, and using the 1-2-3 method.

Yeast should be hydrated at 85-95F, cooler is better than warmer.

63-65F is good for most ale yeasts.

Posting on the forum when the kettle is boiling, very risky even if you can see the kettle from your computer.

Actually man... it didn't even come CLOSE to boiling over at all... I used 2 gallons of water.. and my kit.... I steeped for awhile... then malt then added honey after 30 minutes... Never really foamed up enough to boil over... Am I screwed?

You did fine by putting the grain bag in early. It is not a true sparge, so the timing is not essential.

For more aroma, add hops later, al late as flameout.

For the water temperature, I figure if I can hold the glass in my hand, the yeast will be ok (not too scientific). Dont put your finger in it though.

To siphon to secondary, I recomend an autosiphon, but it is not necessary. You dont want to use a spigot for this anyways, as you would get a tone of sediment into your secondary.

Your temperature looks good.

Good luck!!

- magno

I added hops as soon as it started boiling... Then it picked up. These were my bittering hops, and boiled for 1 hour. then with 30 mins left, I added 2 lbs honey, and with 2 mins left some aroma hops. I have an auto-siphon... So it wont hurt to take the lid off?

No you can take the lid off in a week when you rack. Take the airlock out first or water may drop into the beer.

Alrighty.... Do you think I will have a good tasting beer?

I sanitized everything real well. I have never had a porter before, so I hope I like this. What can I expect, taste wise?

All of the honey beers that I have made so far have been lighter in color and taste to let the honey come through. I wouldnt expect a pronounced honey taste due to the 30 minute boil.

Should definitely be more than drinkable. Keep us posted on how it comes along, and post the recipe too.

- magno

Back