First Brew Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seann

Reaction score
Doing my first homebrew, a Pilsner, has been in a 5 gallon carboy doing is secondary "fermentation" for 10 days after it completed 3.5 days of its primary fermentation, looking at bottling in a day or two. First off have I given it enough time to "clear" in the carboy and secondly, how long should I store the bottles after bottling until they will be ready to drink? Thank you for your answers in advance!

Well you have made beer congrats... However there are a few things you need to change to get this done correctly...

Any beer deserves at lease a week in the primary... and in the case of a Lager which you are doing, you should have actually fermented at a low temperature 46-52*f until you have reached 70-75% of your desired Final Gravity.

Then you would do a Diacetyle rest which involves ramping up the temperature of the beer to around 60-64* till it finishes out at your final gravity. This could take a few weeks as a primary process...

Once you have reached Final Gravity you should then transfer to your secondary for lagering... depending on how cold you lager depends on the length of the lagering period... the colder the shorter and the warmer the longer... This will let your beer clear and give you the correct lager characteristics you are lookign for... I usually lager at a minimum no less than 2.5 weeks at most I have lagered upwards of 4 months for a Doppelbock i brewed.

Then you may transfer to your bottling bucket add priming sugar and then store at cellar temperature for 10-14 days.

Ahhh in this case you will still be OK... you need to check your gravities... Could you list the recipe specifics... Like OG, Anticipated FG, and any measurements you may have taken as well as fermentation temps?

For a second there I was reallly nervous. Sorry for the confusion, I am new to this lol. I have the OG listed at home I will post in a few hours. Thanks again for all the help!

Back