First Brew Journal! Coopers English Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DABrewmaster

Reaction score
This is my very first homebrew! When I went to my LHBS the guy suggested to start with a kit so I can get used to the very basic of homebrewing before starting to try mix with malt extract and hops. I wanted a red beer and his suggestion was the Coopers English Bitter.

I created a journal at the beginning of my brew to note all the things I did and I saw during the whole brewing process. I plan to do this for all my brews, so they can be documented and can help me or anybody else in the future!

I took some picture of the process, here is the album link :
http://imgur.com/a/AbIsq#0

Brewing Day – December 6, 2014
After sanitizing everything that came in my brew kit, I submerged the unopened can in hot water to warm the malt syrup. While doing this, I boiled 2 liters of water and then transfer it to the fermentation bucket (that I had to graduate myself :( that was a long PITA). Then, I threw 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of white table sugar into the bucket. I know that I could’ve used a different sugar to have a better beer, but it was Saturday night, the stores were closed and I really wanted to start that night! We shall see what it will give for the final taste, but many posts I saw said it’s not that big of a deal, that the final beer will have less body.

Right after pitching the white sugar, I opened the Coopers can and transferred it in the bucket. It has a very viscous look when I was pouring it, smelled a bit like molasses. I stirred for a minute the initial mix, which was very consistent and needed some strength to properly swirl the mixing spoon.

Then, I poured about 18 liters of cold water from tap. The first liters I used the empty Coopers can since it had some syrup still stuck on the inside. Then mix again with a spoon and take an initial temperature measure: it was at 27°C which is the upper limit Coopers mentions before pitching the yeast. I pour 3 liters more to have a total of 23L in my bucket, which is a tad more than 6 gallons. Before pitching the yeast, I took my Original Gravity: 1.036 at 27°C. I found it a little low but I read later on the web that this is a normal gravity for an English bitter, so I shouldn’t expect more than a 4.5% ABV beer.

Ht3YDYm.jpg

Finally, I pitched the Coopers Ale yeast included in the mix evenly on the surface. Then, I locked the lid firmly on the bucket, put some water in the airlock and plug it in the hole. I stored my bucket neat my water heater (which is in a closet under my stairs), where it is at a constant 20°C.

Week 1 – December 6 to 12, 2014
I didn’t expect to see that much bubbles in the airlock! Fortunately there was no krauken that entered in the airlock and jamming it. I made nightmares on the first night, that the bucket would leak and that I would have 23L of wort all over the floor, the wooden side of the stairs and the plywood of my floor :( None of this happened! The only thing that was worrying me the first days was that the lid was a bit convex due to the internal pressure in the bucket. But the seal was ok, and there was multiple bubbles in the airlock about every 5-10 seconds for the first 3 days. Then it slowed down to each 30 second on day 4-5.

Zj3LW22.jpg

Week 2 – December 13 to 19, 2014
Not an exciting week so far :( There are practically no more bubbles in the airlock (I don’t have the patience to look at it for 2 minutes straight), which mean the yeast have finish the dirty job! I decided, after further reading about fermentation time of Coopers beer, to let it sit for 3 weeks total, in order to properly achieve fermentation and have less sediments in suspension and augmenting the possibility to have a better tasting beer. The kit says that it can be bottled after a week, but I rather wait than being sorry. I’ll try to apply the 1-2-3 rule (1 week fermenting- 2 weeks clearing- 3 weeks bottle conditioning). I haven’t took a gravity measure yet for that week, as I don’t want to open the lid and liberate the gas and expose the beer to air… yet! Maybe during week 3 I will do so.

Week 3 – December 20 to 26, 2014
It’s time to take the first gravity measure, even though it has already reached its final state. On December 24 I took a chicken marinade syringe to take the fermented beer from the top of the fermenter lid hole. I measured a value of 1.006 at 21°C. This gives me a value of about 4.2% ABV, which looks to be in the range of a British bitter. I will wait 3 more days before bottling, but I’m pretty happy that the fermentation went well. I also drank the sample just to give a quick taste and if there was any off flavor. It was of course flat, but it did taste like beer without any cringing face.

Bottling Day – December 27, 2014
This is it! After 3 weeks of fermentation it’s time to bottle 23L of beer. I have 22 oz bottles (around 660 ml) so I sanitized 36 bottles, along with siphon, spoon, bottling wand and caps. For priming sugar, I used an online calculator for the kind of beer I brewed. According to http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/, the English bitter has a level of CO2 of 1.5, so I took about 55g of table sugar along with 2 cups of water, then I boiled both for 10 minutes and then I let it rest for 30 minutes.

yZGCQ83.jpg

I put the priming sugar at the bottom of my bottling bucket and then siphoned the content of my primary fermenter, then I slowly stirred it to mix with the sugar. The transferring of the beer in the bottles went well, I used all 36 bottles of beer and no leftover or half-filled bottle! The beer are now conditioning at 19°C at the same place than my fermenter, near the water heater.

First taste – January 17, 2015
After three long weeks, it was time to take my very first taste of my first ever batch! I was with two friends who were stunned that you can brew beer without sophisticated equipment or space. I was so relieved when I heard the “pshhhh” while opening the cap! My biggest fear was that it would be flat but that wasn’t the case. It was very bubbly on the sides of the glass but the copper color with some red shades makes it really beautiful. However, the collar was pretty inexistent. Taste-wise, it was not as bad as though too. It wasn’t like a Kilkenny or a cream ale, but there was a good, light malty taste and some bitterness. The body was quite thin though, most likely because I used table sugar instead of DME.
In conclusion, that first was very fun to do and I learned a lot through all the process. I wanted to start easy with an extract kit to learn the basics and can’t wait to start my second brew in a couple weeks. I wil do a German OKetoberfest kit, from Brewers Best https://bellsbeer.com/store/products/Brewer%27s-Best%C2%AE-Ingredient-Kit-%252d-German-Oktoberfest.html that I received as a Christmas gift from my lovely girlfriend :D

Cheers!

doi3slR.jpg

Thanks! Indeed it is a good bedtime read but I think it will be very helpful for future brews, since I tried to write down every observation I made during the process.

I like the Cooper's English Bitter with pit barbecue & as a mop sauce. I used the BE 2 in mine & got this;

Malty smooth ale that could really use some East Kent Golding hops. Darn good with BBQ though.

Nice write up.
Two questions - What did the bucket and lid cost at Can Tire? I was at Home Depot and they had 5 gal buckets, but yours looks a bit larger.

unionrdr - Yours seems to be darker/more red.... Is that from the BE kit?

Yes, it was. There was a member on here at one point that was the North American distributor for Cooper's products. He did youtube videos as well. He liked the fact that I was promoting my own use of their products & gifted me the kit of my choice for having done so. So I picked the International Series English bitter with BE2. BE2 is dextrose, maltodextrin & plain light DME mixed up. I also rehydrated the 7g Cooper's ale yeast packet for it. It performs virtually the same as US-05 pitched dry. I think it might need a hair more Vco2 though. It was kinda low per style in the tasty brew priming calculator. I'll try 2.0 Vco2 next time, which will be in spring with EKG flavor hop addition. I've found that some beers are fine as AE or E/SG brews after doing pb/pm biab for over a year now.

Nice write up.
Two questions - What did the bucket and lid cost at Can Tire? I was at Home Depot and they had 5 gal buckets, but yours looks a bit larger.

The bucket cost 4$ but did not include the lid, which was 2$ extra. Since I will only use it for bottling beers, I took the bucket only and drilled a hole at the bottom to insert a spigot and bottling wand, bought at the homebrew store.

The bucket is a standard 5 gallon, so I had to do the siphoning in two steps, since I had more than 6 gallon in my fermenting bucket.

Looks fantastic! In the future be careful filling your bucket to 23L though - that's not enough headspace for most beers. :)

Agree! Making 23L worth of beer will pretty much be my upper limit for a batch :) Fortunately, it was a low gravity beer so I don't think it created a lot of foam during fermentation that could have clogged the airlock.

My next batch will be a 5 gallon and it looks to be a medium gravity beer, around 1.050. So there should be enough space. But I plan in the coming months to brew a higher gravity belgium style beer, and I will most likely use a blow-off tube instead of an airlock.

Back