First brew finished!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I finished my first brew yesterday, a West Coast Amber Ale with a lots of hops! Everything went great, and it is bubbling already! I just have a few questions for next time:
1) I moved a bunch of crap out of my freezer and placed the 20qt kettle in it to chill, and it worked well, is this ok?
2) After I took the wort out of the freezer and temped it (around 80 F), I poured it through a strainer into the pail. I have heard that you can strain if you want, and it helps to aerate. The problem I had was the hops and gunk in the wort kept clogging up the strainer, and it was kind of annoying. Do I really need to strain the wort, or is it ok to add hops and everything to pail and let it settle out?

Once again, thanks for everything!

Jason

You would be better off to put your top-off water in the freezer just as you are starting the batch.

Straining is good. But as you found out, it takes a big strainer. I have a large restaurant size strainer that has a clip and a handle so I can rest it on in the bucket while pour. (Used only when I forget to install the bazooka in the kettle and for straining blackberries in season.)

Back