First brew finally in a Keg! Finally!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afchad

Reaction score
So...this has been a long time coming.....My very first homebrew! I finally brewed my Boundry Waters Wheat kit from Midwest Supplies. I fermented it in a brew bucket letting it sit for six weeks in primary. Then after opening my lid I thought I was doomed with infection. Of coarse I came on here and was told it was yeast rafts!:ban:
man was I pumped! I finally got my work into a keg and it currently priming at 12 psi at 36 degrees. Gonna wait 7 days and then test it out!

Maybe you should have bought a smaller kit, and used the rest of the money to fix your blinds... Lol!

Seriously though, I'm impressed! My first kit was a Mr. Beer that seemed to only produce horse piss...

That's about right for the wheat beer PSI-wise. It's probably going to take a little bit longer to carbonate completely but yes definitely test it out after a week. Be sure to dial back the pressure to a lower serving pressure, say about six PSI. I have that same valve system from Midwest and I find five to six PSI is about right.

For the rest of your blond ales (APA's, IPA's, etc.) you can set it and forget it at 10 psi.

Well, about 2 yrs ago I did make edworts apfelwein and bottled it...bottling was a PITA....So I knew my first beer brew was gonna go in a keg

wish i could have kegged my first batch. i had to bottle my first 18 before i got a kegging system

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Maybe you should have bought a smaller kit, and used the rest of the money to fix your blinds... Lol!

Seriously though, I'm impressed! My first kit was a Mr. Beer that seemed to only produce horse piss...

Yes, I have a 2 and 5 yr old, they are rough on my blinds! lmao

I vote for another picture of the lego looking guy with the mustache on the right.

You likely didn't need to leave it for 6 weeks in primary... Most of my wheats are done in somewhere between 2-3 weeks. Take gravity readings every day after 2 weeks, if they don't change, you're done and can keg. I see a bucket and two car boys on that table, time to start working on the pipeline!

Post about the blinds made me laugh. Good job with your first brew. 6 weeks is a very long time for a ferment. When you get rolling, you can cut that down to 10 days for ales.

Usually I have a habit of rushing my hobbies lol...Im trying to use patience...I also forgot to take an initial gravity reading so I wanted to do a lil overkill on time in primary..

You likely didn't need to leave it for 6 weeks in primary... Most of my wheats are done in somewhere between 2-3 weeks. Take gravity readings every day after 2 weeks, if they don't change, you're done and can keg. I see a bucket and two car boys on that table, time to start working on the pipeline!

lol...I hear ya on the pipeline...I just wanted to be sure I could actually get ONE in a keg infection free! lol Plus my military obligations had me busy as hell

Be forewarned: Children love large bottles that bubble. I recently had a red ale fermenting with a small corvette stuck in the trub. The next week a few Legos mysteriously appeared.

Kids. Their curiosity is extremely infectious!!!

I know, I lied to my kids and told them there were harmful chemicals in that bucket LMAO

Here is kinda the beginning of an idea for my Brewery label....Its called..Texas Gypsy Brewing Co.

The idea came from the Fact im from Texas and travel around a lot being in military

Back