First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browning348

Reaction score
I mixed up my first batch of mead right around the first of the year thanks to this forum. Very primitive; 2lbs store bought honey, a couple cups of sugar to boost the ABV, and just enough water to make a gallon. Almost 5 months later I racked it and tasted and this stuff is great. Gravity is 1.002 and there's just a little sweet and honey flavor. I'll definitely be making some more!

For even more honey flavor you might want to try using a varietal honey (orange blossom or tupelo, for example) and you might want to use only honey (so perhaps 3lbs of honey rather than add sugar)...

Gratz! Glad you enjoyed your first experience. Any thoughts on what your next mead will be?

Check out Loveofrose's BOMM recipes and you will be pleased. A nice fast result and by all means if you can source some Orange Blossom Honey, 2.5 lbs. per gallon of mead, you will be stylin'.

I'm thinking my next will be a local clover honey and I've got a second year dwarf peach tree loaded with small peaches so I may add some of those and see what happens. The taste is so smooth it seems almost any sweet fruit would go well with it.

Latest posts

Back