First batch question about fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molson1993

Reaction score
Hello, I'm brand new into the brewing world have a question about my fermentation process. I've read a lot up on fermentation temps and realize my temp should be around 50-70 depending upon the strain of yeast, I started fermentation about 24 hours ago, pitched my yeast at 80, and my temps are varying between 72-78 depending upon the time of day. So my question is, is it too late to fix the issue of higher temps? Should I just let it go like this until second stage? What's the negative effects of the higher temps? How can I fix the temperature issue on a budget? I'm brewing a Kolsch beer from the Brewers Best line. Thanks in advance, any advice is greatly appreciated! :mug:

I would try to lower it ASAP. Most off flavors happen in the first 3-4 days of fermentation, but I'd rather lower it now and minimize possible damage. Watch this NB video for help: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7674V3P19g[/ame]

I've never brewed a Kolsch, but I think the recommended fermentation range is around 60, followed by a lagering step at around 35. I think you'll end up with way more esters than the style would have, but that doesn't mean it won't be drinkable. It may still be good, just not like a Kolsch.

So, to answer your specific questions:

1. I'd say it's too late to fix the temp issues. You should have pitched the yeast at around 55 deg to let it rise up to 60, and kept the fermenting beer in a cool box or converted fridge/freezer. You may be able to keep the fermentation temps down with the wet tshirt trick, but I don't know if you could get it down that low from your stated temperature range. But, you wouldn't be able to lager it properly anyway.
2. Let it go. It may be a good beer. But it will probably be more ale-like.
3. The negative effects are more esters, and possibly fusels. If the beer's temp (which is more important than the room temp) gets up into the 80s, you may get solventy flavors in the end product from the fusels (and possibly bad headaches from drinking it). Not necessarily, but it could. Esters, on the other hand, are what give ales their fruitier aspects, and they are intended. Again, the beer COULD be delicious as a result, but it won't taste like a Kolsch.
4. If on a budget you mean you don't have a cool box or dedicated fridge/freezer with a temp controller, you should stick with ales. Lagers or low-temp hybrids won't do right for you. Most people start with ales and brew them for quite a while before getting lagering equipment. That's what I did.

Yeah, I should of read more into it myself, prior to choosing a lower temp fermenting beer, I have it set up in my closet, with nothing open right now I just put a standard fan inside the closet pointed right on the fermenter, bad idea? I'll have to do something first thing in the morning.

I will most definitely be better prepared for my next brew, so at this point i'll decrease the temp as much as possible and hope for the best! Thanks for the help and quick replies! I have a feeling this forum will be my new best friend, cheers!

Put your Fermentor in a tub of ice water with a T shirt draped over the Fermentor and in the ice water. Very effective in keeping temp in the 60s.

You might not have many off flavors if you can get the temperature down quickly. Here's some reading on the subject. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Thanks for the info, great read! I love this forum group, has opened up my imagination for many things, currently designing a fermentation chamber, great community!

Just an update for those who helped me the other night, I was able to get my temps down to about 70, but I think a bulk of fermentation already happened in the first 24 hours sadly, it slowed down quite a bit, so i'm going to continue at the 68-70 and see what happens. I'll be prepared for the next batch though, already bought my ITC-1000 and will wire it up once I build my chamber on Sunday!

Back