First Batch: Is this normal??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl

Reaction score
Ingredient Kit- All Malt Pale Ale by True Brew
Temp around 70F

*Pitched the yeast Friday night around 10 PM.
*Sat morning 6 ish the airlock was very active 1-2 "Burps" per second.
*Sat afternoon-evening all activity stopped.
*Checked again Sun morning still no activity.
Opened fermenter: Looks like it must have had a thick foam cap on it during fermenting. Replaced cap.
*Odor: Smelled very Hoppy

Instructions state: Max time for total fermentation is 48-72 hrs after starting.
Is the room temp too high?
Or does this sound normal and the waiting begins?

Thanks and Cheers!!

sounds normal, but there is a wide range for normal. Do you know what yeast you used? Most yeasts have a temperature range that they ferment better at. Fermentation creates heat, so your beer is probably about 6-8 degrees higher during rigorous fermentation. I'd try to find a lower temperature spot for the next batch, or look into a swamp cooler or fermentation box you can put ice to lower the temp.

The instuctions say "Ale Yeast" Packet has been thrown out.
Basement is at 60F so did not want to use oil to heat the area.
Put fermenter on top of fridge.
Did I ruin the batch?? (Temp too high?) Hope not!

Thanks!

First you need to define "ruin". With higher temperatures you may not have the optimum flavors but I suspect you still made drinkable beer.

First you need to define "ruin". With higher temperatures you may not have the optimum flavors but I suspect you still made drinkable beer.

I guess being new at this , I would define "ruined" as foul smell/taste. Flavor being far from what it is supposed to be.

It should be fine. Leave it a while and then check your gravity to see where you are at. Don't use the bubbling airlock as a gauge for fermintation.....that's what a hydrometer is for.

Thanks Rev!!
Great info, should have spent more time "Searching" and less time worrying!

Back