first batch fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakedasnake

Reaction score
Started my first batch today and am using a firm wrap to keep the temperature up while in my garage, it is a red ale and the yeast was Nottingham Ale Yeast the temperature has been bouncing between 72-75 F is this to warm for this yeast for it to work properly?

jakedasnake said:
Started my first batch today and am using a firm wrap to keep the temperature up while in my garage, it is a red ale and the yeast was Nottingham Ale Yeast the temperature has been bouncing between 72-75 F is this to warm for this yeast for it to work properly?

At those temps, Notty will chew right through your wort, likely leaving you with some esters and noticeable fusel alcohols. The beer will be drinkable, though I tend to ferment at about 65 with that yeast.

Cheers!

If your beer is already fermenting at that temperature it's a little late to worry about it but for your next beer you should keep it a little cooler (low to mid 60's). This beer will take a little longer to be ready to drink as the yeast will have more to do to clean up with the warmer ferment.

So I just went and checked it this morning the temp was around 77 eak!! :/ so I unplugged it but there was a thick layer of foam on the top of the beer but the bear hasn't started fermenting yet. Hopefully I haven't messed up to bad on my first batch :(

It has started fermenting if the krausen has formed on top. While the temps may be high, I wouldn't worry too much. My first beer got close to that level (used notty) and it turned out okay. It won't be perfect, but you will know better next time. I keep waiting for the batch where I feel I do it all correctly...highly unlikely.

I made an enclosure with a dimmer switch and AC voltmeter for my FermWrap, with a little experimentation you can equate a voltage setting to a desired temp and better control your heating...I was able to free up a temp controller by doing it this way.

For cooling I use this: Restless Cellars - Photos

I simply placed the bucket in a trash can and added water and a small bottle of ice. After the ice was gone, the bucket temp remained the same as the room without any more ice needed.

I'm having the same trouble with my stout. It started off by going down to below 60 overnight out in my shed- there was frost overnight. I did everything I could to raise the temp all day Sunday- wrapping the FV, adjusting the height of my heat belt, using a heater in the shed. Now I find it around 78 and I don't know what to do- if I remove the wrapping and turn off the heat belt it might get too cold again overnight.

I'm having the same trouble with my stout. It started off by going down to below 60 overnight out in my shed- there was frost overnight. I did everything I could to raise the temp all day Sunday- wrapping the FV, adjusting the height of my heat belt, using a heater in the shed. Now I find it around 78 and I don't know what to do- if I remove the wrapping and turn off the heat belt it might get too cold again overnight.

Get this and set it to come on at 57 and shut off at 62. Skip the wrap.:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LV6Y3O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
badbrew said:

Thanks, I've just looked again- the fermentation is going NUTS.

I'll be taking the wrap off, unfortunately for now at least I'm going to have to rely on experimentation with raising/lowering the heat belt and look at a thermostat for future brews... This stout is only my 2nd ever batch of beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back