First batch drank onto bottling the next!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForeverYoung

Reaction score
Well all just wanted to let you know I finished up my first batch from the brewcraft HB kit. Was an IPA extract and turned out not too shabby, although had a heck of a bitter aftertaste, I am willing to attribute that to the fact I didn't let it sit longer than 3-5 days in the bottle before I stuck them in the fridge. I ran outta beer and got ansy. Also, let them sit in the primary fermenter for about 2 1/2 weeks before bottling.

So I am currently bottling my second batch that has been sitting longer and I think might be a little less harsh. I was reading up on some of the reasons for that harsh taste and I am wondering if perhaps it was over-carbonated? I am using the Grolsch style bottles and recapped Corona bottles, of course sanitized, and the Corona style bottles were less harsh than the Grolsch bottles and I noticed they were leaking CO2 out the top. Any ideas?

Also, I used Cane sugar to prime instead of Dextrose or Corn sugar. Is the proportions the same? It asked for 3/4 cup of Dextrose and I used 3/4 cup Pure Cane baking Sugar. Thanks in advance, this is one of the most rewarding hobbies I have had.

I bottled with table sugar today and used 5/8 a cup per 16 OZ, so that's an 1/8 c more. My first time though with the table sugar so who knows.

Back