First batch and have a questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGingerelli

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer (columbus IPA) on July 25 it has been in the primary 9 days and fermentation has stopped and is falling out of solution cleared up a lot. Is it safe to trasfer to a seconday now? I know a lot of people dont transfer but I want it to clear very well. Please let me know. I am leary of leaving it in the primary so long to clear because there is a lot of trub. Thanks!

yeah you can transfer to a 2ndary w/o harming anything, but it really won't effect clarity as long as you aren't disturbing anything with the trub.

Congrats on your first batch!
leave it in the primary. It will clear just fine and it will allow the yeast to finish "cleaning up" after themselves.

I go with 3 weeks(or more) in the primary to clear and conditon and at least 3 weeks in the bottle to carbonate(and condition a little more).

Rack to a bottling bucker/container using a racking cane and autosiphon and you should be able to get all but about 3 or 4 ounces of beer and leave all the trub behind!
It is not hard just takes a little time. It is worth it though!

I just took a hydrometer reading. My O.G. was 1.065. The reading I just took was 1.013. Is that normal for a columbus IPA. That means I have an ABV% of about 6.8? Right? Any help would be great. Thanks!!!

I just took a hydrometer reading. My O.G. was 1.065. The reading I just took was 1.013. Is that normal for a columbus IPA. That means I have an ABV% of about 6.8? Right? Any help would be great. Thanks!!!

Yes, a FG of 1.013 could be normal.

You figure ABV by a formula- (OG-FG) x 131 = ABV.

So, (1.065- 1.013) x 131 = 6.8% Your FG will actually be determined by a variety of factors, like recipe and yeast strain, so it may drop a few more points. It probably won't, since you're at 79% attenuation. But it could!

Check it again in two days, and if it's the same, then it's safe to transfer if you wish.

Leave it in the primary. If you did not pitch the yeast below the fermentation temp you should put it in a warmer spot and do a dicetyl rest. If you remove it from the primary yeast you will most likely take the beer away from the yeast b4 it can consume the bad stuff leftover from the primary.... It is easy to get exited and want to move the beer but I used to do it and I scrapped the2ndary years ago and my beer is as clean as any. Another argument against the 2ndary is that you give it another chance to pick up o2 as well as infection. Make sure you taste it as you take your readings. Good luck

Leave it in the primary. If you did not pitch the yeast below the fermentation temp you should put it in a warmer spot and do a dicetyl rest. If you remove it from the primary yeast you will most likely take the beer away from the yeast b4 it can consume the bad stuff leftover from the primary.... It is easy to get exited and want to move the beer but I used to do it and I scrapped the2ndary years ago and my beer is as clean as any. Another argument against the 2ndary is that you give it another chance to pick up o2 as well as infection. Make sure you taste it as you take your readings. Good luck

I did taste it and man I was surprised it was tasty. This is the greatest hobby I have ever had. Thanks to everyone for the input!

And it starts with the consumption of another unsuspecting soul!
The obsession we call "home brewing"!
Welcome!

I have taken the gravity again and it remained the same at 1.013. The brew is cleared nicley and my recipe sheet says after 2 weeks I can transfer to my keg, would any of you suggest I do that or should I wait another week?

One more week certainly won't hurt it and will probably help it quite a bit. We all understand -- believe us, we do -- how anxious you are to move it to your keg and try it. I hereby give you permission do what is slightly less than "ideal" and keg it now, though the best advice would be to give it at least one more week.

Bigger beers, that is, anything higher than 4.5% ABV in my opinion, need a little more time. This being your first, though, you will have a tendency to rush it. I do have a metaphor that will help you make the best decision for yourself, though:

Your brewing virginity is like another kind of virginity: it's really best to wait, but waiting is *hard*!

So, whatever you do is up to you. Congratulations on your first brew! :mug:

One more week certainly won't hurt it and will probably help it quite a bit. We all understand -- believe us, we do -- how anxious you are to move it to your keg and try it. I hereby give you permission do what is slightly less than "ideal" and keg it now, though the best advice would be to give it at least one more week.

Bigger beers, that is, anything higher than 4.5% ABV in my opinion, need a little more time. This being your first, though, you will have a tendency to rush it. I do have a metaphor that will help you make the best decision for yourself, though:

Your brewing virginity is like another kind of virginity: it's really best to wait, but waiting is *hard*!

So, whatever you do is up to you. Congratulations on your first brew! :mug:

Thanks for the advice I'm just gonna have to stick with your advice and wait another week. Thanks

Latest posts

Back