First batch - a newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTomMorrow

Reaction score
Hi, I've been researching home brewing for a little while, but am just finally taking my first plunge today. I have one main question, but I'll also explain what I'm looking to do and please let me know if you see any glaring mistakes in this.

My plan is to boil 2.5 gallons of water to make my wort, then cool the boiling pot when done (I didn't buy a wort chiller, yet, and don't have a large sink to handle a bigger pot), once it is cool I am going to add in additional 2.5 gallons of cooled water.

I am also planning to just add the hops directly to the wort, and not steep them in any muslin bags or anything. I want a clean beer though, my primary question is, can I strain it into a bucket, add in the additional water, then transfer from the bucket to my fermenter? Or will the double transfer add too much oxygen?

I will probably have a lot of questions as I go along. Thanks in advance!

Your plan sounds good. No need for another bucket, just strain into your fermenting bucket/carboy. You can also add the cool water following the boil, no need to wait for the wort to cool all the way down. There will always be some "junk" in the fermentor, just make sure to leave it when you bottle.

You are brewing extract, correct?

Your process will work, but I have the following suggestions.

1. Since you are trying to get a 5 gallon batch, have a bit more (3 gallons or so) of COLD water to top it off to an even 5 after the boil - boiling will make you lose water.

2. You can add the hops directly to the wort without a muslin bag. I have never strained my hops out of the kettle, and my beer is crystal clear. Straining it over a colander/paint strainer will work too, but that may get messy with the hot break/hop debris. Make sure you add your whirlfloc tablet near the end of the boil!

As for the "too much oxygen" question, you actually want to oxygenate your wort to promote a healthy and complete (attenuation) fermentation. I even use a diffusing stone with pure CO2 on my wort for a full minute to oxynate, so don't worry at all.

Have fun!

You are brewing extract, correct?

Your process will work, but I have the following suggestions.

1. Since you are trying to get a 5 gallon batch, have a bit more (3 gallons or so) of COLD water to top it off to an even 5 after the boil - boiling will make you lose water.

2. You can add the hops directly to the wort without a muslin bag. I have never strained my hops out of the kettle, and my beer is crystal clear. Straining it over a colander/paint strainer will work too, but that may get messy with the hot break/hop debris. Make sure you add your whirlfloc tablet near the end of the boil!

As for the "too much oxygen" question, you actually want to oxygenate your wort to promote a healthy and complete (attenuation) fermentation. I even use a diffusing stone with pure CO2 on my wort for a full minute to oxynate, so don't worry at all.

Have fun!

Nicely said!

Some of use like to have wort as clean as possible going into the fermenter which may be a case for a clearer end product. Mainly, since I like to harvest my yeast, I think clean wort ends in a cleaner yeast cake to save. Maybe, maybe not, but just a personal preference I like to start with clean wort. So, I take a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Lowes (2 for $3.79) and stretch the elastic band over your fermenter bucket. Pour or rack wort thru the strainer and you'll catch most of the trub and break materials from the proteins and hops especially if you don't contain the hops in a bag of some sort during the boil. Rinse the bag out and reuse many times being careful to sanitize before each use. Sorry I didn't use the word sanitize but once as I try to use it in every sentence. LOL

I just did my first brew about a month ago, and had the same questions you did. Once your wort is chilled, pour it in your fermenter. You should definitely use some sort of screen when pouring it, otherwise you could get a lot of the 'junk' at the bottom the pot. Unfortunately, I made this mistake and poured some of it in. It settled over time, but if you can strain it, then you're better off. Once that's done, then put in the extra water. Go for it, you'll be fine!

Yep, right as you are pitching yeast is the only time you want lots of O2 in the wort. From then on, you want to avoid o2. But before you pitch the yeast.....Weeeeeeeeee! Give it a good shake.

Back