First BAIB Screwed Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaggiano

Reaction score
So...I did my first BIAB (a porter) so I know I have plenty of time to wait for things to settle out. Here's where I messed up....

I knew I had grain spillage in my wort after the mash and totally planned on using my fine screen in the funnel when I poured to the fermentor. Well, 2 hours of mashing and boiling whilst enjoy several different craft DIPA's...I forgot the screen.

Will this settle? I wasn't planning to rack to a secondary. I know fining agents will encourage yeast fallout. Will the grain that is floating around get heavy enough to drop out into the trub?

I searched for this and apparently I can't use the search properly or am the first idiot to do this.

Any words are appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason

Possible Tannin flavors. It will still be beer. Rack out from under any left-over floaters. Bottling or kegging? Either way you want to cold crash. Porters can cover many brewing errors.

I wouldn't worry about it. You can always cover the tip of your siphon with some cloth to filter the beer during the transfer if there ends up being a lot of floaters.

Possible Tannin flavors. It will still be beer. Rack out from under any left-over floaters. Bottling or kegging? Either way you want to cold crash. Porters can cover many brewing errors.

Bottling....only my 6th brew.

I wouldn't worry about it. You can always cover the tip of your siphon with some cloth to filter the beer during the transfer if there ends up being a lot of floaters.

Good tip! I will be doing this!!! The yeast to condition in the bottle should pass through a grain or hop bag!

Is the grain spillage directly correlated to DIPAs or is there something else about your technique that requiring modification?

Is the grain spillage directly correlated to DIPAs or is there something else about your technique that requiring modification?

Considering the DIPA's had something to do with dropping one side of the bag when unclipping from the kettle? Yes. Definitely.

Sidenote: tasted the gravity sample tonight then had a Black Butte out for pregame and damn! This recipe is on point!

The grain will probably get water logged and sink. The muslin or paint strainer bag over the end of the siphon will keep any of them out of the bottling bucket/keg. There is no chance that you will get tannins. That takes heat and a certain pH level. Oxidation will not be an issue since the filter is submerged on the intake end. If you tried to strain on the output end then let the beer fall it would oxidize the beer. If you tried to filter on the output end of the tubing it would probably clog and stop the siphon.

Small problem, IMO

Figured I would shoot out a reply on how this turned out...

So the hop sock on the intake end of the autosyphon did not work. It kept the little valve from closing when the flow stopped making the racking process a b!t(h! There was a lot of air I couldn't remove from the line. I ended up taking the sock off and just going for it. The grains that I was worried about must have fallen out because I didn't pick up much (if any) grain in the syphon.

Gravity is our friend!

Back