First All Grain - Oatmeal Stout - Marris Otter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

escalante88

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been away awhile but it's good to be back. I'm doing my first all-grain batch soon, an oatmeal stout using Jamil's recipe with minor alterations due to ingredient availability. Here is what I have:

10 # 2-row (US) 2 oz Kent Goldings @ 60
1 # Flaked oats 0.75 First Gold @ 60
0.75 # Chocolate W1028 w/ starter
0.75 # Victory
0.50 # Roasted barley
0.50 # Crystal 90L

Est OG = 1.060
Est FG = 1.014
IBUs = 40.8

Because I am using American 2-row rather than British, and using W1028 which is used more often with dry stouts, I am considering adding some Marris Otter to increase the malt profile. Has anyone ever attempted this?

I'm looking for a smooth and sweet, full-bodied oatmeal stout, not a roast-expresso foreign extra, so if anyone has any suggestions or experiences with this I would be much obliged!

I used simpsons marris otter (not sure if that's available where you are or not) in a few recent brews for which I've previously used and Australian ale malt. The difference in the malt profile is pronounced - much richer and fuller.

I like the aussie malt and will continue to use it but for English malty styles I'll be using MO from now on.

You can swap out the MO and the 2 row completely. The MO will give you a little more complexity on the back end, but it won't be pronounced with the specialty malt in your recipe.
I use the 2 row in my APA's and AIPA's, as they get alot from the C hops and the crystals.
Hope this helps.
Bull

Back