First All-Grain Attempt - Problems/Need Some Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djschererjr

Reaction score
I finally took the plunge yesterday on my first all-grain attempt. Tried to keep it simple with the pale ale (Sierra Nevada) clone. Got the recipe from a book at the LHBS and bought just enough of each ingredient there, i.e. no extras. Recipe was extract specific with additional instructions for all grain.

11 lbs 2-row
4 oz crystal
4 oz maltodextrin
.7 oz Nugget (bittering)
1 oz Cascade (aroma)
1 oz Perle (flavor)
.5 oz Cascade (dry hop, obviously yet to come)
90 min mash / 90 min boil

So two problems:
1) Very, very rookie mistake and mis-read of the recipe: Added Cascade 15 mins into boil when the all-grain instructions called for them to be added with 1 min left. All other ingredients went in on schedule.

So, my assumption is the bitterness will be higher and that the aroma will be less than expected. Was thinking about increasing the dry hop amount. Thoughts?

2) Looked at some online water volume calcs, and I think I underestimated the amount of loss due to soaking in the grain and then especially the amount of loss due to evaporation during the boil. Tgt of 5 gal, but I have 4.25 or so.

O.G. Tgt is 1.058 - 1.059. Measured actual is 1.068.

I have not pitched yeast yet.

Will adding water at this point to round out to 5 gal weaken the beer too much. If I am doing the math correctly (using online calcs), it appears that I can add around 1/2 gallon to get to the expected OG. Still won't get me to 5 gal.

Thanks

P.S. I understand it's bad etiquette to ask the question without reading previous posts, but I am in a bind in terms of time.

What point in the process are you at? I agree, you should top off to hit your target. If you are doing your boil, you can add it now. Otherwise, boil the water separately, let it cool, then add it.

Taking the gravity reading helped me not worry about the water part too much, but I will certainly top off. Brewers Friend calls for .7 gallons to be added.

Any thoughts on my hops mistake?

It's not going to be fatal. Yes, I would predict more bitterness, less flavor. If you have extra Cascade you could still add it otherwise there is nothing to do but wait. I am sure it will be drinkable.

Back