First all grain a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmull70

Reaction score
Just did my first all grain. A pale ale 5 gal batch. 9lb of grain. My gravity reading was higher than expected. The owner of the brew shop told new to expect about 1.045 to 1.054 I came in at 1.062.
The wort tasted better than expected I think it will be one if my best beers yet. Also fermentation seems to be slow airlock shows about one bubble a second temp is 66f this was after 36 hours
Just looking for some feed back threw yeast I used was safale 05

Don't listen to your airlock, it's a big liar. The only good indicator of fermentation is your hydrometer. Otherwise, it should come out good!

I think you misread your hydrometer. At 90% efficiency, 9#s of pale 2 row gives 1.059 OG. Your HBS gave you a very reasonable estimate - 75% eff. (fairly typical) gives 1.049.
You may never know your OG or ABV, but if the beer is good, who cares?

I think you misread your hydrometer. At 90% efficiency, 9#s of pale 2 row gives 1.059 OG. Your HBS gave you a very reasonable estimate - 75% eff. (fairly typical) gives 1.049.
You may never know your OG or ABV, but if the beer is good, who cares?

Did you read the hydrometer with a sample at 60 degrees. If not you have to make a calculation to get the true gravity.

Regardless of the OG it sound like everything is going well. Ignore the bubbling airlock, wait about 3 weeks then take gravity readings over a few days. If the gravity is stable proceed to bottling or kegging. I'm sure you will have a good beer.

just one more thought regarding the hydrometer. I took the reading the temp was at 64f this is also when i pitched the yeast. is there such thing as wort being to cold to pitch yeast

just one more thought regarding the hydrometer. I took the reading the temp was at 64f this is also when i pitched the yeast. is there such thing as wort being to cold to pitch yeast

Yes, but 64F isn't that point. :) The ale yeast will go dormant at around refrigeration temps, but fermentation in the low 60's is generally the goal. Under 70F for sure, unless you know that your yeast are going to do what you want them to do above that.

How much wort did you end up with? If you have less than the 5 gallons you were expecting then the higher gravity would make more sense. I would have trouble believing anything much higher than 85% efficiency with a homebrew setup.

Back