First AG, 11 Day Post Pitch Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drummahjake

Reaction score
So I brewed my first AG (NB's Dead Ringer) on 2/20. It came out very close to target at 1.061. I just pulled a sample 11 days after pitching and am reading 1.008. In my extract brewing history, I never got below 1.014 for an FG. Is getting a reading of 1.008 on this beer normal? Is it a good thing? Any feedback is appreciated.

Side note, all my extract IPAs have always had a bit of a twang on the back end. This brew tastes very clean. So far, I am very happy that I turned all grain. Can't wait to dry hop, keg, and enjoy! :ban:

I brewed the same kit on 2/21. I'm at 1.008 too. It might taste a tad drier than expected but it'll be good nonetheless. I wound up mashing between 149 and 148. I'm dry hopping now w/ 2 oz - going to cold crash and keg this weekend.

Glad to hear I am not alone. Going to dry hop soon. I hit the target mash temp within a few tenths and lost only a degree over the hour. 153 was target I think.

Most extracts will have some unfermentables in them, usually carapils but there could be some other caramel malts or darker roasted malts that will limit the attenuation. The mash used by the maltster could be at a higher temp too which will produce a less fermentable wort. Your 1.008 may be from mashing low or not including the unfermenables.....or it could be that your yeast attenuated more than you expected due to the temperature during the fement or just because that is a variable that you can't control.

For a future brew you might try mashing a few degrees higher to create more unfermenables in your wort. You didn't mention the fermentation temperature but lower temps at the initial stages may control the yeast activity to some extent too.

Most extracts will have some unfermentables in them, usually carapils but there could be some other caramel malts or darker roasted malts that will limit the attenuation. The mash used by the maltster could be at a higher temp too which will produce a less fermentable wort. Your 1.008 may be from mashing low or not including the unfermenables.....or it could be that your yeast attenuated more than you expected due to the temperature during the fement or just because that is a variable that you can't control.

For a future brew you might try mashing a few degrees higher to create more unfermenables in your wort. You didn't mention the fermentation temperature but lower temps at the initial stages may control the yeast activity to some extent too.

Hi RM-MN,

I mashed at 152F at the beginning, ended just over 151.0F. Mash time was 1 hour, however, I had an issue with my SS braid (cooler batch sparge). It actually fell off of my drain tube during the mash. I guess I didn't tighten the clamp we enough. After the 1 hour rest I had to scoop the mash out and in to my BK, fix the braid, and load up the cooler again. This added about another 30 minutes before I could drain my first runnings. I am sure I lost 2-3 degrees in this process as well. Could this have been the culprit more so than the mash temp?

Used Wyeast 1056, fermented at 60-63F. I also oxygenated with bottled O2 and a SS wand for 30 seconds before pitching.

Hi RM-MN,

I mashed at 152F at the beginning, ended just over 151.0F. Mash time was 1 hour, however, I had an issue with my SS braid (cooler batch sparge). It actually fell off of my drain tube during the mash. I guess I didn't tighten the clamp we enough. After the 1 hour rest I had to scoop the mash out and in to my BK, fix the braid, and load up the cooler again. This added about another 30 minutes before I could drain my first runnings. I am sure I lost 2-3 degrees in this process as well. Could this have been the culprit more so than the mash temp?

Used Wyeast 1056, fermented at 60-63F. I also oxygenated with bottled O2 and a SS wand for 30 seconds before pitching.

Both of those would lead to lower FG. You did an extended mash with the later part of it at a lower temp and you created the conditions for great yeast growth. Your beer will be a little drier than you intended but it will also have a little more alcohol due to the difference in FG. Once carbonated I think you will like it.:mug:

Back