Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really getting into black powder lately. I've been loading black powder in my 45-70 Sharps, with a 500 grain cast bullet. That will put a hurt on the old shoulder!

One of these days I want to make a nice flintlock long rifle. Check out the kits from this place:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com

This is the place I bought my Sharps from, and when I scrape together some more dough I'd like to buy one of their Southern Mountain Rifle kits.

Most ranges will let you rent guns- Find a range near you and see what they got. Have a friend with a few guns? Ask him to show you around. Knowing how each particular gun operates is very important.
Rules
1. Consider the gun to always be loaded.
2. Never point at anything you dont intend to shoot.
3. Go back to rule 1.

If you are looking at handguns- IMO
.40 or 9mm Glock or Springfield XDs
1911 (almost any manufacture) for a 45
for bigger guns like 357/41/44 mags Ruger or S&W you cant go wrong
454 is extremely powerful

You can never go wrong with Sig Saur for any gun Kimber makes great ones too
This is great advice. I have grown up with firearms and have been shooting and hunting many times. In college I had a roommate who was going to do some pre police training but had not fired a gun ever. I borrowed a 9mm from my dad and we went down to the local indoor range and got him used to shooting. Not long after he bought a Glock .40 and a Sig .40 before even going through the academy. He's now on the Irvine PD. The bottom line is, find a friend that is familiar with firearms and go down to the range a few times to get comfortable shooting.

These are my two handguns.
A 9mm (copy) of a 1952 beretta and a Raging Bull 454.

WGSDD-DSC00111a.JPG

This is my last group, 15 rounds free standing at 25 yards

339341014-MVC-127S.JPG

I never shot anything more than a .22 at Boyscout camp. I grew up in Chicago where only criminals were allowed to have handguns.

If the anti-gun boneheads and the UN have there way that's the way it will be for all of us. Once your Second Ammendment rights are gone then they'll start in on your First Ammendment rights. Oh, wait, they already are. :drunk: That's why I belong to the NRA. By protecting my Second Amendment rights I am also protecting some anti-gun kooks right to freely embarass...I mean, express himself. :rockin:

:mug: America. What a country!! :mug:

1911 Series 70 Govt Copy .45 here. I like to clean it whenever a boy comes sniffing around for my 16 year-old daughter:D

Happy Birthday to me!

Picked up my first muzzle loader today
S5031607.jpg

Traditions Pursuit XLT. Cant wait to torch it off this weekend at the range.

I shoot as often as I can to stay proficient with my CCW.

Taurus.jpg

I have put probably 1500+ rounds through this pistol and never had a jam or misfire. It's an awesome gun. I also have a couple .22 to practice my form with without spending a fortune. Shopping around for my next firearm purchase still. Its funny too, all my friends laughed when I said that I (at 6'2" 155 lbs) was going to use a full size 1911 as a CCW, but not one of them has been able to spot me yet.

I shoot as often as I can to stay proficient with my CCW.

Taurus.jpg

I have put probably 1500+ rounds through this pistol and never had a jam or misfire. It's an awesome gun. I also have a couple .22 to practice my form with without spending a fortune. Shopping around for my next firearm purchase still. Its funny too, all my friends laughed when I said that I (at 6'2" 155 lbs) was going to use a full size 1911 as a CCW, but not one of them has been able to spot me yet.

They are awesome, I just bought the olive drab stainless model about a month ago, have put about 200 through since then (50/week) I love this gun. I also have a para ordinance warthawg for cc thats probably on about 1k or so, if you like the PT 1911, you'll definetly like the warthog, I'm a big fan of all paraordinance guns, I just couldn't afford their 1911

Just last week I got my CPL and a little Smith and Wesson 642 that shoots .38spl+P. I'm just waiting on my holster to show up now. Order time is between 4 and 6 weeks with the company who makes it, so hopefully it shows up sooner rather than later. Oh, and the mark near the muzzle isn't nearly as bad as it looks in the photos. It appears to just be a manufacturing mark.
DSCF5883.jpg

DSCF5890.jpg

DSCF5898.jpg

DSCF5899.jpg

I am not a hunter or collector, but everything I own gets used alot doing USPSA/IPSC shooting.

My pride and joy is a Springfield 1911-1A 9mm SS. Also have CZ 85, Para 16-40 and Para 14-45 all tricked out for this type of shooting.

I am not a hunter or collector, but everything I own gets used alot doing USPSA/IPSC shooting.

My pride and joy is a Springfield 1911-1A 9mm SS. Also have CZ 85, Para 16-40 and Para 14-45 all tricked out for this type of shooting.

My boyfriend just started shooting IPDA(that's what the spartan's for), and I recently borrowed his father's Glock 20 to give it a whirl myself.

I barely notice the recoil with this gun.

Really? I think they have far more considering the gun is so light. But then again its been a long time since Ive shot one.

I barely notice the recoil with this gun.

Really? I think they have far more considering the gun is so light. But then again its been a long time since Ive shot one.

It has been a while since I've shot anything else too though. So it may very well just be me.

They came out with thumb safety in 08 for their .45. I think they are going to try and get the XD to be our next military pistol. I wonder if they will keep the Mark 23 for SFs still?

I think they are going to try and get the XD to be our next military pistol. I wonder if they will keep the Mark 23 for SFs still?

What military are you in? The Army just ordered another 100000 M9 Barettas POS.

This would be a much better alternative

What military are you in? The Army just ordered another 100000 M9 Barettas POS.

This would be a much better alternative

Did they really?? What the hell happened to them replacing it? And I wonder why Springfield would put thumb safetys on their .45 only then? I've never actually shot the beretta, but the guy at the gun shop let me dry fire one to feel the trigger pull on it. I swear it felt like I pulled forever to hear the click and on top of that it was a pretty heavy pull from what I remember. From what I heard one of the big reasons we went with beretta was to get them to let us keep some of our bases in italy.

Whatever their reason was it is a very poor weapon. Reliable as hell but sucks to shoot.

Baretta has better weapons- why we are stuck with that craptastic model is beyond me. I put about 700 rds through one- Really hard to shoot accurately.

I can take my Sig and have worlds better groupings.

Whatever their reason was it is a very poor weapon. Reliable as hell but sucks to shoot.

Baretta has better weapons- why we are stuck with that craptastic model is beyond me. I put about 700 rds through one- Really hard to shoot accurately.

I can take my Sig and have worlds better groupings.

You have to keep in mind though, the average soldier/person in Iraq carrying one can't shoot a good group anyway. That is why they went to 9 to begin with.

Ive been huntin since I was a kid....still go every weekend of deer season, unless the ducks are flyin. I have a 30-06 my grandad gave me when I was 12...nothin special 742 remington (hangmaster) woodsmaster, but it still shoots true and I always have deer meat in the fridge!!!!

30-06 my grandad gave me when I was 12

That gun will still be good 100 years from now. Im gonna get a 7mm soon.

You have to keep in mind though, the average soldier/person in Iraq carrying one can't shoot a good group anyway. That is why they went to 9 to begin with.

True- Its amazing how many people suck with firearms in the military.

I was thinking of getting a new rifle, but we recently had the hunting laws changed in Mississippi and we can now hunt primitive weapon season with 45-70's. I bought one 2 yrs. ago and now I use it during rifle season a little.. light weight, powerful and easy to get up in my climber with!!:rockin:

That gun will still be good 100 years from now. Im gonna get a 7mm soon.

True- Its amazing how many people suck with firearms in the military.

I love going to the range and hearing people say things like 'Yeah all ammo shoots the same.' If you shoot 8" groups....

Good choice on the 45-70. Now, if you really want to have some fun, cast some 500 grain bullets and load it full of real black powder. That's what the cartridge was originally designed for.

I've got a Glock 17 in the nightstand and 2 skeet guns in my closet. One is a Franchi 20ga. I still can't shoot well. The other is a Turkish Yasarziin <sp> 28ga that is a blast to shoot all day long. Only issue is the bottom barrel likes to eat firing pins and they are a pain in the ass to find replacements for.

I shot the Beretta once a year when I was in the AF. Never did like it. I got into an argument with the range instructor over my technique of thumbing the hammer back on my first shot to do away with the horrible double action trigger pull. The way I look at it, if I miss my target on the first shot in combat, I might not get a second shot. He said I should practice more. I asked if I could take the gun home since I only get 2 hours a year on his range and I wasn't going to buy one of my own. :D

I shot the Beretta once a year when I was in the AF. Never did like it. I got into an argument with the range instructor over my technique of thumbing the hammer back on my first shot to do away with the horrible double action trigger pull.

I had that same argument with a buddy last time I was at the range. Why is it an acceptable procedure for a revolver, but improper for a DA semi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycactus View Post
I shot the Beretta once a year when I was in the AF. Never did like it. I got into an argument with the range instructor over my technique of thumbing the hammer back on my first shot to do away with the horrible double action trigger pull.
I had that same argument with a buddy last time I was at the range. Why is it an acceptable procedure for a revolver, but improper for a DA semi?

CATMS guys deal with morons every day- Too bad those of use who either are in the know or want to learn more get shafted all in the name of numbers.

M9 sure its reliable as hell- But whats reliability without accuracy?

I shot the Beretta once a year when I was in the AF. Never did like it. I got into an argument with the range instructor over my technique of thumbing the hammer back on my first shot to do away with the horrible double action trigger pull. The way I look at it, if I miss my target on the first shot in combat, I might not get a second shot.

I thought I was the only one. I shot expert last year using the trigger pull technique because that pesky double action throws off your first shot no matter how good you are. The RSO said my score didn't count so I'd have to shoot again. Fine! I moved to a new lane and made sure no one was looking as I cocked the first round that time. hehehe.

You better believe while I was in Iraq not only was there one in the chamber but it was cocked. I also put on a Crimson Trace Laser Grip which the Armement guys yeld at me about for having an unauthorized modification.

I told 'em they could meet me outside the wire if they felt bad enough to take it off. Do you think I could peel them away from their AC and hot coffee for that? HAHAHAHA

ou better believe while I was in Iraq not only was there one in the chamber but it was cocked. I also put on a Crimson Trace Laser Grip which the Armement guys yeld at me about for having an unauthorized modification.

I told 'em they could meet me outside the wire if they felt bad enough to take it off. Do you think I could peel them away from their AC and hot coffee for that? HAHAHAHA

That is one thing that kills me. We are so hard core but man is it hot outside!

Anything you can do to make the m9 more effective then good on you. The Navy and Marines doen use them any more.

Don't have a pic of my .17 but it does a good job of groundhog border patrol. :D

This is my turkey gun:
IMG_0118.jpg

Back