Finings for Wheat Beer Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil_Ozzy_Fer

Reaction score
Hello,

So, it haaaas been a while since I've been active on this site. Had to step away from brewing due to some serious adulting. At any rate, I think I might finally be able to start brewing again, and just did that today. Yeah!

I'm using (Lallemand) Danstar's Munich Beer Yeast and it's a low (possibly non-) flocculating strain. Now, this is a wheat heavy beer, and I'm not concerned about yeast remaining in suspension, but I'm a little concerned about other particles not dropping out. I haven't used finings because a lot of what I've seen in various discussions don't make any mention of it.

The reason I ask is because the last time I used a strain of yeast (for a red ale) that didn't floccultae, and I didn't use finings, well the beer was, not spectacular.

However, since there is significant wheat content in this beer, I'm not worried about clarity, just that is hasn't properly settled.

I was thinking about trying gelatin, but I wanted to toss a line out there to see what other people had to say.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm assuming you mean Danstar's Munich Wheat Beer Yeast, which is supposed to be cloudy. Even Hefe Weizen's are clear in the bottle after the yeast falls out.

Are you wanting a clear Wheat beer? A Kristall? (Crystal = a clear Weizen without the yeast).

If you're making a wheat ale the yeast will drop out if you cold crash for 24-48 hours then use gelatin and wait another 2 days before bottling or kegging.

Yes, that is the correct yeast. Thank you for the advice. My concern isn't really with the yeast, rather with other particles floating around in the beer. My concern was that, if the yeast aren't flocculating, it may leave a lot of this other material in the beer, and yield something that may taste sweeter than it otherwise could/should. Active fermentation has already started and the yeast are pretty lively at the moment. I'll keep my eyes on it, and see where it is once fermentation slows down.

Yes, that is the correct yeast. Thank you for the advice. My concern isn't really with the yeast, rather with other particles floating around in the beer. My concern was that, if the yeast aren't flocculating, it may leave a lot of this other material in the beer, and yield something that may taste sweeter than it otherwise could/should. Active fermentation has already started and the yeast are pretty lively at the moment. I'll keep my eyes on it, and see where it is once fermentation slows down.

When it gets near being done fermenting the yeast and everything else should drop out. Once it hits FG it's to time rack to a secondary (carboy).

I know many people don't do them, that's their choice (I do them even for Hefe Weizens), but if you are using a low floc yeast you NEED to do one if your intent is a clear wheat beer.

Kristall Weizen was nothing but a marketing strategy to open up new markets and separate from other companies to sell more beer.

It was not created to make beer better.

Hefe is supposed to be cloudy and a bit yeasty, most people in Germany even swirl the settled yeast in the bottle up on purpose when pouring.

I know personal taste is personal taste but for the reason you described, I wouldn't try to clear a Hefe. There is no reason why a beer should be sweeter when particles are in suspension, in other words, you can skip this clarifying step.

Kristall Weizen was nothing but a marketing strategy to open up new markets and separate from other companies to sell more beer.

It was not created to make beer better.

Hefe is supposed to be cloudy and a bit yeasty, most people in Germany even swirl the settled yeast in the bottle up on purpose when pouring.

I know personal taste is personal taste but for the reason you described, I wouldn't try to clear a Hefe. There is no reason why a beer should be sweeter when particles are in suspension, in other words, you can skip this clarifying step.

I hear you there. Even in gasthauses they sometimes ask "mit Hefe?" (with yeast?)

I swirl too, but I've also done a bottle roll or inverted the glass and inserted the bottle before uprighting the glass and slowly withdrawing the bottle.

I've also made a HW and let is clear. Not awfully bad, but since I've been drinking HW for over 40 years it is a bit weird. I actually had a pitcher last night. And will probably have a repeat night tonight after dinner.

It was not created to make beer better. Seth: Good, because it doesn't!

The cloudiness in Weissbier is due to yeast in suspension. Perhaps you could buy the Classic Beer Style Series book: German Wheat Beer (by Eric Warner), for more information.

I believe in most modern recipes, it's recommended to add Whirfloc, which I do.

Back