Finally, First* Brew Day Tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyWhines

Reaction score
*A Mr. Beer experience a decade ago excluded. Finally the means to

No secondary, I'd like to keg at 9 days. Given the season, I'm not opposed to speeding up with honey or extra sugar and yeast. My arsenal will be-
4lbs 2 Row
3lbs carapils
2lbs Rye
1lbs CaraMunich
1lbs Munich
1lbs Aromatic Munich
1lbs UK 2 Row
1lbs Vienna Gold
(3lbs DME)
3lbs Corn Sugar

Mash and sparge at 140-143*

1oz FFlight at 60
1oz Amarillo 30
1pz FFlight 30
1oz each (2oz) at 15
1oz Amarillo at flameout

3 packs of NW Ale Yeast

3oz of each dry hop or if needed keg hopped

Hopeslam Red Rye, or Hopelessly unattenuated by 9 days? Any feedback welcome! I expect a murky mess in the glass but that is fine by me.

It's your brewery, you can do as you please. If this is truly your first all grain brew, I would urge you to reconsider.

The best advice I received when I started all grain was to pick a simple recipe, one or two malts, one or two hops. Brew it. Then brew it again. Then at least once more.

I have no idea how your brewery is set up, but everything has a learning curve, and you are starting on the really steep part. Get familiar with your equipment, get your crush dialled in, that sort of thing. It will be much easier with a simple recipe, and if something goes wrong it's a lot easier to figure out if you don't have 14 ingredients in the puzzle.

That recipe looks amazing, I'd be interested in how it turns out. But take a few turns around the block before you jump on a racetrack. Good luck!

Kegging at 9 days isn’t going to give you a drinkable beer at least IMO...the beer is still going to be very green and the yeast will probably still turning surgar into alcohol...why the rush?

The earliest I’ve ever kegged a beer is 14 days and it really didn’t hit its full potential until day 31.

Ill be brewing the cascade pale ale kit first, but I am confident while trying to not be to arrogant. I'm considering getting some gigayeast Conan/Vermont which apparently carries it nearby LBC. Some have finished juicy 7%ipas on 3 days and sessions in less. I'd like to have it dry and rich

I have many stockpots, and have been lucky enough to have a few friends. I'm going to have extra pots to rapidly sparge at 140-145 . as needed. Tomorrow's high temp is about 0*

Regarding picking a single hop and malt-
I've always been partial to real trial by fire. The rush in this case due to my birthday next Sunday.The hop bill is simple enough. The crushing is no concern- more surface area means more efficiency potential extraction. Im going to recrush them while boiling the kit. I've been much more interested in the pharmacology of ethanol, but science is science and searching HBT to find recipes for a decade, reading through it all , what not to do etc; A lot has stuck. Lastly, aq hazy may pitch more yeast than that depending on taste/gravity of it., unless I get a couple packs of Conan.

Thanks again for both of your time!

And this is re:
"The bill sounds amazing"
That is what I wanted to hear most :D I obviously
didn't pick up random grains. I'm going for a jacked up Red's Rye , just as dry , and my favorite local ipa Brew Cocky showed me how great FFlight can be. I'm gonna hop the wort a bit. I would love a hazy purple sludge as long as its very near fully attenuated enough. Good morning to you all!

Last edited:

No secondary, I'd like to keg at 9 days. Given the season, I'm not opposed to speeding up with honey or extra sugar and yeast. My arsenal will be-
4lbs 2 Row
3lbs carapils
2lbs Rye
1lbs CaraMunich
1lbs Munich
1lbs Aromatic Munich
1lbs UK 2 Row
1lbs Vienna Gold
(3lbs DME)
3lbs Corn Sugar

1oz FFlight at 60
1oz Amarillo 30
1pz FFlight 30
1oz each (2oz) at 15
1oz Amarillo at flameout

3 packs of NW Ale Yeast

Hopeslam Red Rye, or Hopelessly unattenuated by 9 days? Any feedback welcome! I expect a murky mess in the glass but that is fine by me.

To me that looks like an unnecessarily complex recipe and maybe difficult as a first. It also looks like a poor choice of mash temp. Read this article on "brewer's window". It shows your mash temp to be clear outside the "brewers window".

https://missionarybrewer.wordpress....ers-window-what-temperature-should-i-mash-at/

I've bottled clear beer at day 10. I do it because I choose the fermentation schedule to be not optimum but a close approximation and I could perhaps do it sooner if I cold crashed the beer to drop yeast out faster. Your beer may or may not be ready to keg at day 9, especially with your lack of experience.

I've kegged my last 3 beers at day 10. They were all delicious. Why keep them in there longer if fermentation is done by day 4?

Unnecessarily complicated? Because of the different malts ? think of it as a potential or at least, by 9 days, drinkable high abv birthday indulgence. Yes I could cold crash, and may a tiny bit. That said, I'm leaning towards not, hop pellet matter should sink AFAIK. That calculator is for a 60m mash. Sure I could start simple, and technically am brewing the kit first, but I'd love a couple cases of a hazy and yeasty,. Red rye hopeslam. By estimate it should be at least mostly attenuated by then; that means more of us will drink more, though it ;p . Pallet wreckage Is good for keeping infection risk down.. Cheating with raw cane sugar to keep it dry and high ABV And if I do pick up the conan clone yeast, I should surely be good. I realize you can only learn so much from reading and videos, but I'm going to take this risk. I have been successful in the past with this much confidence/knowledge-going-in, but I am obviously posting this because I try to not be TOO arrogant of a bastard. My next brew planned is a Bigfoot or double bastard clone, so this is better experience for something longer like them. With SN's next year calender(and Schlaflys) , despite anticipating buying mostly stuff from them leaning towards Bigfoot. And bottling Double B after that. So I'm ensured on a lot of DB for later. 5L at least in the little barrels TWCP sells.. But now I'm getting ahead of myself, cheers!

By estimate it should be at least mostly attenuated by then; that means more of us will drink more, though it ;p . Pallet wreckage Is good for keeping infection risk down..

Since when does mostly attenuated mean more drinkability? Attenuation literally means how much alcohol the yeast made from the sugar...and with your mash temp you’re not going to be getting much sugars to begin with.

Also, hops may be good for preservation of beer but what literature have you read that shows it keeps infection away?

Let’s be real here if you wanted a beer for your birthday you should have planned better...with all that yeast in those beers all you’re going to give your guests is the diarrhea

What's the rush? Patience goes a long way in brewing. Not for the instant gratification type. Your mash temp is too low. Good luck. ;)

4lbs 2 Row
3lbs carapils
2lbs Rye
1lbs CaraMunich
1lbs Munich
1lbs Aromatic Munich
1lbs UK 2 Row
1lbs Vienna Gold
(3lbs DME)
3lbs Corn Sugar

1oz FFlight at 60
1oz Amarillo 30
1pz FFlight 30
1oz each (2oz) at 15
1oz Amarillo at flameout

3 packs of NW Ale Yeast

I often keg at 10 days, so that's not the issue.

However, your recipe has big problems. Any grains with "cara" in front of them and crystal/caramel malts- and want no more than 15% in any recipe, and usually a lot less.

You've got 4 pounds of crystal malt- that needs to be reduced greatly. 3 pounds of sugar will boost the ABV- but give you a boozy result. Using a little boosts the ABV without adding malt flavor, so it can be useful but it's too much. Munich malt and aromatic malt will give you intense malt flavors- but using both is too much. You've got the sugar to lighten and thin the body, and then too much Munich/aromatic malt to provide malt flavor and body? That needs to be totally revamped.

The vienna will get lost in all of that, as will the UK malt. You can also get "muddied" flavors with that much grain mix.

The mash temp is too low to get complete conversion. Target 150-152 for a mash temp.

I'd use some brewing calculators to get an idea of the OG, and that will also help with the balance of OG/IBUs from the hops. You want a balance of hops and malt.

And this is re:
"The bill sounds amazing"
That is what I wanted to hear most :D I obviously
didn't pick up random grains. I'm going for a jacked up Red's Rye , just as dry , and my favorite local ipa Brew Cocky showed me how great FFlight can be. I'm gonna hop the wort a bit. I would love a hazy purple sludge as long as its very near fully attenuated enough. Good morning to you all!

Unfortunately, your recipe is not going to give you anything like Red's Rye- and it's got a lot of problems as I mentioned. I'd rework before brewing it.

Kegging at day 9? Yes...you will make beer, but do you really want your buddies at your birthday party telling you, "GEE WHIZ pal, this is good!" ... as they grimace and pour this stuff in your planter when your not looking ?
Your first brew should elicit loud and genuine expletives from your pals... "This is the BEST @#$%%^%$ beer I've ever tasted!"
Your first brew should blow your girlfriends dress up.
Your first brew should generate murmurs of speculation about opening your own brewery.....
But hey... I'm just foisting my own opinion on what should happen during the grand first beer unveiling.
Hope you have a good birthday.

3 lbs of carapils and 3 lbs of sugar will make that nearly undrinkable. Is this a recipe you dreamed up? Simplifying this grain bill will really help.

I haven’t done the math re your hops additions, but it looks drastically overbittered. I’d shift most of that to a whirlpool addition (added after the boil when the beer has cooled to around 170, and then steeped for an hour).

I would not mash at 140-143, but as someone said above, it's your brewery. Just seems way too dry for my taste and I'd wonder about conversion issues.

I go along with what was stated by yooper. I would like to add that it will be "drinkable" at that stage just not what you expect and likely very yeasty to go along with the sharp bitterness. After some time in the keg it might even be an acceptable brew to the op.

Learning by trial and error takes a bit of time when brewing no matter how quickly you try to turn your beer around.

Simple recipes are generally better. Not so much because more grains make the process difficult but because they make the end result more complicated to discern the flaws for correction. A simple recipe is far less muddled and you can taste the results of minor adjustments.

I often keg at 10 days, so that's not the issue.

A bit of semantics here.
Yooper... you have the experience to transfer and have it finish out in a keg.
I've done it both ways when I needed my primary fermenter for another batch.
This is different from the 9 day hurry up-it's-party-time beer.

A bit of semantics here.
Yooper... you have the experience to transfer and have it finish out in a keg.
I've done it both ways when I needed my primary fermenter for another batch.
This is different from the 9 day hurry up-it's-party-time beer.

Well.................if the beer is done at day 5, I'm not really hurrying it up when I keg it. I often dryhop, so then I might keg at day 12-14, but an ale of average OG without a ton of complex flavors like roast can be grain to glass in 10-14 days.

No doubt it can be done based on recipe and yeast, but I seriously doubt this beer will finish at day 5 with Northwest Ale 1332 even pushing the fermentation temp to max.
My point was, WHEN you keg isn't the issue. It's when you want (or think) it's finished and start pulling that tap.
That said, my personal preference is waiting for completed flocculation and a good cold crash before keg. (Rather than using keg as secondary)
Otherwise, I find too much schmutz on the bottom.

12# Golden Promise (@75% BH efficiency) mash at 152F
bitter to about 50 IBUs
3 oz hops at FO (Whatever really, I like comet or centennial the best. a mix works too)
Two packs of us-05 or WLP090 San Diego Super
Ferment around 65-68F using a spunding valve (why I love keg fermentors)
Dry hop with the same hops at about day 5
Take a gravity sample at day 6(easy to do with a keg fermentor)
Take another sample at day 8. If done, cold crash and transfer slowly, since it will contain a good bit of carbonation, into serving keg.

That ^^ will be done and ready to drink in 9 days. Will it be completely clear? No, but that's not the point of that beer. It's my, "friends are coming to play poker and take down a keg" beer - trust me, we take it down because it is tasty stuff. I have done a good bit of adjustments and trials to know that it will work the way I'm hoping and taste great.

I think you need to take the advice others have stated and slow down a bit. Your recipe is an amalgam of things that won't produce a good beer but sounds cool on the sheet to someone who doesn't have experience with those ingredients. My recipe is the result of experience in what tastes good and technique. Simple doesn't mean easy or even good. However, more so, neither does complicated and rushed. If you want fast beer, keep it simple. If you want good beer, listen to the advice you asked for. If you want something that won't be done when or the way you want it to, brew what you have.

Unnecessarily complicated? Because of the different malts ? think of it as a potential or at least, by 9 days, drinkable high abv birthday indulgence. Yes I could cold crash, and may a tiny bit. That said, I'm leaning towards not, hop pellet matter should sink AFAIK. That calculator is for a 60m mash. Sure I could start simple, and technically am brewing the kit first, but I'd love a couple cases of a hazy and yeasty,. Red rye hopeslam. By estimate it should be at least mostly attenuated by then; that means more of us will drink more, though it ;p . Pallet wreckage Is good for keeping infection risk down.. Cheating with raw cane sugar to keep it dry and high ABV And if I do pick up the conan clone yeast, I should surely be good. I realize you can only learn so much from reading and videos, but I'm going to take this risk. I have been successful in the past with this much confidence/knowledge-going-in, but I am obviously posting this because I try to not be TOO arrogant of a bastard. My next brew planned is a Bigfoot or double bastard clone, so this is better experience for something longer like them. With SN's next year calender(and Schlaflys) , despite anticipating buying mostly stuff from them leaning towards Bigfoot. And bottling Double B after that. So I'm ensured on a lot of DB for later. 5L at least in the little barrels TWCP sells.. But now I'm getting ahead of myself, cheers!

"...Grist is 2/3 domestic 2 row. Lots of Cpils, some aromatic malt, some medium and dark crystal and of course some rye malt. The og should be around 15.5 plato and hop it to about 70 ibus with Perle and Amarillo. Ferment with a clean neutral strain and dryhop profusely just before terminal with Amarillo. Give it at least 4 days on the dryhop. Rack to secondary at cold and let sit cold for a week or so. Viola delicious hoppy Red’s Rye”
Hopslam is boozy to me, as is brown shugga. At first. My birthday, will be me, my brother in law- whose best friend was brewmaster at Schlafly before leaving , to return to their home state of Michigan for Bell's. I've talked a lot with him, and foolishly sat on my ass until it was too late and not taken the opening he created, for what that's worth. But it shouldn't mean anything; it shouldn't, what I do/dont know should-
my cousin, and one of my best friends will be drinking it. I sure hope we don't kick the damn thing. Though on my last birthday.. I drank damn near half of that in lagavulin, double bastard in the rye and a bigger, longer, uncut.. That's beside the point other than I don't mind if it's boozy: I prefer devil dancer, enjoy Stone OG double bastard as fresh as possible.

I can't imagine it'll be too dry for my taste, I generally start off each evening with an Arrogant pounder aside from Celebration season, and am really hoping SNBC's hop haze is just like next year's year round Hazy Little Thing.

Pallet wreckers absolutely cover up the booze; a mere 2yr whisky distilled here with hops had no perceivable heat to me. Red's Rye is pretty dry. The undesirables of "too much aromatc and caramel malts is made up for by the low mash temp. I'm pretty certain that is why Red's Rye has so much caramel malt, yet such a pleasant flavor different flavor, based on friend's homebrew and the aforementioned friend of my brother. It stopped being produced even seasonally because it was too expensive and had such a diverse, expensive aromatic caramel malt bill. All of the Red's Rye clone recipes seem to look past that and sound like a drier GF HHR I will be transferring all of the hop matter into the fermenter and keg.

My mouth watered when I saw the pic of green sludge Heineken, err Lagunitas posted with Waldos. While I may change my mind, hopping in the keg in case it does last a month or more. I doubt it lasts my week of vacation.

I'm pitching a 3 day old yeast starter, along with two other packs starting today. conan on the way for next brew or to finish up

I have the Cascade pale ale which I've made a starter for, too, and be finished. I said I was kegging at day 9, and I HOPE it is pretty near finished. I take it everyone talking about the muddling and low mash temp and number of grains used has tried similar recipes and themselves, right? I didn't see too many "I think"',s and respect the etiquette of those that did.

Still, thanks for the time of those that didn't, either. I realize it is a dive into the hobby. It only makes sense for me to Brew Arrogant and Cocky. I don't care if my beer is clear. I helped pour many kettles to primary when in ABQ.

Anymore feedback, " why not honey? Or molasses?" Or especially feedback regarding similar mash bills/temps, please share!

Edit- Thanks for the early happy birthday wishes too!

Last edited:
I would have to agree that the malt bill is needlessly complicated--I have not been happy with any of the brews I've made with too many different malts (the malt flavors do get very muddled), and some of your ingredients seem to be at cross-purposes (the carapils and sugar, for example).

I don't think you will get the results you are looking for at that mash temperature. I say "think" because I have not tried it myself. The reason I haven't tried it is because, as others have mentioned, the enzymes you need for conversion are not sufficiently active in that range.

It's possible this beer will turn out great. I don't think you're going to luck into a perfect beer on your first try, however, by bucking accepted wisdom and practices regarding malt bill composition and mash temperature.

I can't imagine it'll be too dry for my taste, I generally start off each evening with an Arrogant pounder aside from Celebration season, and am really hoping SNBC's hop haze is just like next year's year round Hazy Little Thing.

Oh, no, it won't be too dry. With 4 pounds of crystal malt, it should be cloying. You don't have to worry about it being too dry at all.

A better recipe would have been what you said above- 2/3 two row, some rye malt, some aromatic malt (all base malts), carapils for head retention, and a bit of crystal 40L or caramunich, and a little crystal 80L or 120L. A little sugar or honey to dry it out a bit- but not 3 pounds worth.

This may be very drinkable to you and your buddies, and a good foray into making big beers.

Thanks for the reply, Yooper! I was more concerned with it being cloyingly sweet. 1.035, ie Brown Shugga, As well as the temp rye's sugars come out at.. which you all surely took into consideration. The bill is mid 50's 2row aside from the honey added. Of course I entered it into multiple brew programs. If I'd mashed at 150 the rye would be glue and wort completely full of longer chained sugars I don't want.

Re: do you really want your friends to wince...
The best friend that will be enjoying this with me split a Punishment with me tonight. case of Dick-Kicker-Malt-Liquor when it came out.

"Want to get in a plane with me?"
While reading comprehension isn't a prerequisite to flying a plane, cognizance is usually relatively balanced. I'd probably assume there was nothing wrong, or walk. I shouldn't need to repeat that I first brewed a pale ale grain kit that came with and would have on hand... oh, except that I caramelized the malt more first and will have a delicious little dirty bastard which Id prefer. and beer in the fridge. Apparently have to also repeat that I HOPE it's finished in time. It does make me feel better about my level of arrogance, so thanks for that? I hope you have a good and happy life. Keep on brewing what your doing. I like experimenting myself. This one was a little cheaper than a Grignard Rxn, and a little less dangerous.

Colors murkier but near dead on Red's but smells like this year's MI FFlight blend.

Last edited:
Confidence is great. I think that I see what you are trying to do with this beer. Thing is, that much Carapils should equal a foam bomb. Do what you want to do. I am a rouge brewer myself and if you want to make good beer quick there are certain steps that you must follow. Currently, you are not doing those things. Let me know if I’m wrong and most of all have fun.

I sure will. It tastes great now can't wait to see how the aggressive SN and PNW west starter I added look in a day or too. Ideal ~1.,113 OG

I mashed lower with intentionally lowering temps and for boiled Worth slower and a little longer lower boil. for longer. twice as long, to ensure i got only the longer chains of to ensure I got ryes spice. Dry already while sticky and full bodied. Certainly nowhere near regular heavy caramel malt heavy beers. A dry dark fruit bitter biscuityCaramel-rye blend of flavor. Underneath a lot of FFlight/C-hopblended Amarillo clone and PNW pallet wreckage.

Drinkable is subjective. Just like our taste buds. If next week is the right temps I could Bigfoot it. Or pitch this Gigayeast, though the starter itself smelled of Stone Fruit already.

Thanks for some feedback apparently acknowledging what I'm trying to do, and taking everything into account. Fooled me, at least! Though the bar was admittedly low given gthe majority of responses. seems to be going well. I'm guessing worst case scenario by richly complex body but dry. Ideally, most importantly , the coveted secret of reds dry yet caramel heavy ("you're not makin any sense!)
I.e- I doubt founders would nix Reds other than such a diverse malt bill. But, whoever replied to whomever with a recipe an average drinker might find " real close". If it has in the keg so be it . I'll have a reds devil dancer after 30 days on hops

But what do I know, can't cook pork porterhouse, propegate agar plates, or bake bread until someone shows me ,; right? What good has book learning and reticence every done no body? The love of arts in math and chemistry cooking, baking, culturing, , distillation and grain sugar extraction, and a decade here surely don't apply. those SMaSH 15$/15s cost more than I'd hope you all all make more than, in the overall spent time.. What's that defiltion of insanity again?

I'll be watching this thread, as I'm really curious how it turns out. Either way I think you'll have a memorable brew for your birthday! Hoping it turns out the way you hope.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I can open a portal, link, to that newest thread here and we'll cause an interwebs equivalent to crossing the streams like in Ghost Busters.

Without knowing where you got lost, it's for some reason hard to answer.

Was it:
What I meant by Bigfoot it? It is open fermented and I have an appropriate vessel, space, and O2 tank. Where I'll presumably pitching the next starter fermenter

Where I went from there?
Brewing is an art of math, or more specifically science. So is cooking, and baking bread in more simple senses. So is propagating healthy yeast or any bacteria, agar plates are a great way to do so. Mini shallow/more promotion of growth ferm vessels by shape. I quickly learned not necessary with Sierra Nevada's yeast-
Albeit, from the 11/17 batch and in the fridge since the day it was delivered to my LBS.

Very aggressively bubbling away.

How I expect it to taste? Organic. after several years of frequently searching any updates on clones and disappointment disappointing results. ichly and cloying spicy, sticky lupulin. Its hissing and seepage tastelike amarillo/FF and biting into a Sticky Viscous Cocky Arrogance. Realization that I should pay more attention to impersonality, and probably have emailed them myselves long ago. That you're getting what you pay for in an $8 growler fill at the source

Last edited:
Thread title: Finally, First* Brew Day Tomorrow

First post

Last post
How I expect it to taste? Organic. after several years of frequently searching any updates on clones and disappointment disappointing results. ichly and cloying spicy, sticky lupulin. Its hissing and seepage tastelike amarillo/FF and biting into a Sticky Viscous Cocky Arrogance. Realization that I should pay more attention to impersonality, and probably have emailed them myselves long ago. That you're getting what you pay for in an $8 growler fill at the source

So you've been searching for clones for years and disappointed with the results. That implies you've brewed multiple times before. Then the "What the f%#& did he just say" moment comes next. I don't know what the last half of that paragraph means.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that this is your first batch of homebrew (maybe), it's pretty clear you did pick a bunch of grain based on vague recipe guidance, your planning to mash ridiculously low, adding a homebrewers metric ton of sugar to it, and trying to rush it all at the same time.

You ask for feedback and there is most likely a century worth of combined homebrewing experience in the thread, and no matter what any of them say you shrugg thier suggestions off, give a long winded, multi-tangent, sometimes incomprehensible response to explain what you're doing and say "Anymore feedback"

Best of luck with it. Hope you have a great birthday no matter the results of this beer.

Did you end up mashing in the low 140s? What OG did you end up with? Did you end up with the OG you had predicted?

Without knowing where you got lost, it's for some reason hard to answer.

Was it:

[snip]

I've read this last paragraph a dozen times, and I still do not understand a single word.

To me that looks like an unnecessarily complex recipe and maybe difficult as a first. It also looks like a poor choice of mash temp. Read this article on "brewer's window". It shows your mash temp to be clear outside the "brewers window".

https://missionarybrewer.wordpress....ers-window-what-temperature-should-i-mash-at/

I've bottled clear beer at day 10. I do it because I choose the fermentation schedule to be not optimum but a close approximation and I could perhaps do it sooner if I cold crashed the beer to drop yeast out faster. Your beer may or may not be ready to keg at day 9, especially with your lack of experience.

great article, thanks for posting

Latest posts

Back