Final Gravity woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianyear

Reaction score
I've put together a recipe for a strong Scotch Ale and think its going to be a great sipper. My problem is the est. FG is a little high, like 1.026 high.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of these residual sugars?
I know that Scotch/Scottish/Wee Heaviest are supposed to be sweet, but I think these numbers tell me that this is too sweet.
Any help is much appreciated.

I've been having the same problem with resurrection of the old Burton Ale (proto pale ale). Mine started life at OG1.065. It got down to 1.020,had to put a second cover on it to warm it up,& roused the yeast. It tasted a little sweet,but not cloying at all. I'm now wondering if it was a mistake to try & knock off a few more gravity points? What info I did find was over one hundred years old,& is mainly newspaper articles.
Actual info on the ale was quite spotty at best. After reading a couple such links of info,& seeing one painted addy poster,I put it together. It'll be a hair over 7%. Now here's an interesting tidbit I found on such ales. The #3 Burton,for instance,had an OG of 1.080-1.085,but was only 7-8%. This tells me it may've been a mistake for me to rouse it. Not to mention,re-hydrating four 7g packets of cooper's ale yeast to pitch on it. May try only 3 7g packets next time to see if I can keep the FG a little high,like 1.020 to 1.022 or so.
So it's my considered opinion that the OG is purposely high,in order to get good ABV%,but still be able to use a higher FG to keep it sweet,since it's basically a lower grade English Barley wine re-designed to make a lighter,but very drinkable ale. The Burton ale as a style started dying off about 1890,giving way to a further recipe modification known as "pale ale". Dryer & not as sweet for changing tastes of the day. I guess some things never change...!:tank:

I think the ideal FG will depend also on your OG. Which is?
These are BJCP ranges for this style.
OG 1.070 1.130
FG 1.018 1.056
ABV 6.5 10.0
IBU 17 35
SRM 14 25

What is interesting in my case was that there is no Burton ale classification. So I'll have to prime using the specialty/experimental/historical category. I'll prime it to 2.0V with demerara sugar to keep some residual sweetness,a hallmark of the style.
I think wee heavies are a derivative of the Burton ale style.

Here is the basic information on my recipe:

Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 6.5 gal
OG: 1.108
FG: 1.027
Bitterness (IBU): 29.3
Color (SRM): 20.0
ABV: 10.6%

I think that you shouldn't make FG lower than you have already planned. You are already puching your ABV% above the limit for this style. You may not care about the style and that is fine. I think that the extra residual sugar will balance the huge alcohol content, so you may not feel it as sweet as you think.

Thanks Nilo.
I'm planning on brewing this just before thanksgiving. I'll try to remember to post the outcome when I crack the first one open in Summer. I know that its really not a summer style, but it would be a nice sipper to have at the Highland Games. :tank:

Latest posts

Back