Final gravity went up??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shiggity

Reaction score
​Ok so I'm doing a Dos Equis clone, and it was hazy. I cold crashed it with gelatin at 34 degrees for two weeks, which clarified it like I'm staring through amber glass.

But the FG went from pre-crash 1.012 to 1.016 in a hydrometer. I thought this wasn't ever supposed to happen. Could the gelatin have caused that much increase?

Edit: I originally wrote "1.010" but I rechecked my notes and it was actually 1.012, corrected above

Did you correct either measurement for temperature? Measuring gravity at a temperature that the hydrometer isn't calibrated to will give different measurements. You might need to run the measurements through Brewer's Friend's hydrometer correction tool. There's always measurement error to consider, too. Gelatin should have settled and not be in suspension to increase the gravity.

Thank you, I was wondering about that. A cursory Google search (that I had run before you posted your helpful info) didn't turn up information on adjustments due to temperature.

Rerunning the numbers based on that yields an increase of .002: from 1.013 to 1.015, which is still odd but probably within a reasonable window of measurement error.

Back