Odd gravity readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InspectorJon

Reaction score
I'm in the process of making a 4 gallon batch of @TimBrewz Irish Red Ale. On day 7 of fermentation I measured gravity at 1.013, as predicted by Brewer's Friend (1.068 down to 1.013). Soft crashed to 45 degrees for a day then back up to 65 and added 45g of dry hops to for 2 days then crashed to 32 degrees. Once it was cold I added 1 teaspoon of gelatin disolved in 4 oz of water and let it sit for a couple days. It dropped very clear. Last night I set my Inkbird controller to 60 degrees, planning to bottle this morning. This morning the beer is 60 degrees, it's kind of cloudy and when I measured gravity it is 1.020 (up from 1.013). Can anyone explain this?

I poured the sample into a glass and stirred the heck out of it to make sure it was degassed and it still reads 1.020. The common tripple scale hydrometer is calibrated at 60 degrees. I am careful to measure the sample temperature and measure gravity at 60 degrees. I checked the hydrometer calibration in plain water, it's 0.000. I don't think 1 teaspoon of gelatin and 4 oz of water into 4 gallons of wort should have any real gravity effect. I don't think dry hopping could result in gravity increase. I thought I measured twice at 1.013 but now its 1.020 for sure. The sample came from about 3 inches below the surface so I don't think some kind or weird stratification due to temperature change could account for it. I'm puzzled. I suppose I could have made a mistake when I measured it at 1.013 because I can't think of any other explanation. I think I'll let it sit for another week. It's 2 weeks in the fermenter today.

It's strange that not only did gravity change, but that it went from being clear after fining with gelatin to being cloudy after warming back up. That has me stumped.

It’s not the recipe! ;). Most likely your initial readings were off. I hope the beer is still decent at 1.020

cheers,
Tim

I’m bottling today. It got down to 1.018. Hydro samples taste good. I know it’s not the recipe. I’ve made it twice before and it is great. I did a 20 minute rest at the end of mashing at 168 degrees. I suspect that created some long chain sugars that are less fermentable. I also used Bell’s yeast. Not sure if that would change things. I suspect my initial reading was 1.023 and not 1.013 like I thought.

Back