Final gravity 1.028? Hop head DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdtastentune

Reaction score
So I bottled my first homebrew! Hophead DIPA from midwest, today took a gravity reading with what was left from the filling bucket (1.028). I took a reading after 1 week in primary before racking to the secondary (1.014) at that point. So 1 week in primary, and 2 weeks in secondary dry hopped. Tasted it today, super hop taste, and alcohol'ish .... kinda sweet though but definitely good. Why did the gravity reading change so much, could it be from the bottom bucket/sediment sample? If I can remember right my OG was around 1.100.

you added sugar to prime correct? that was in the sample right? when bottling there is a technique to rack beer into the bottling bucket. You add the priming sugar solution and then rack on top of it. Have enough siphon tube in the bucket so it comes out on the perimeter of the bucket and whirlpools the beer as it fills the bottling bucket. But regardless sugar tends to sink to the bottom, like in coffee, so yeah prolly concentrated a bit.

Yea, boiled 5 oz priming sugar with a cup of water, then into bottling bucket, then racked secondary on top of that. Tested with what could not be bottled (bottom of bottling bucket). Followed all directions to a tee.

There you go, just remember, if you want an accurate FG you need to take it before you add the priming sugar.

Cool, Yea that's another thing I was wondering about - Reading gravity before adding sugar. Should be good, next time I will do it right... need a thief to make things easy. Thinking about Midwest's strong ale kit.....

Back