filtering wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
i just did step 2 of a wine kit and read ahead to bottling day. They recommend filtering. Do I need a fancy pump or just some filters and a funnel. I don't plan on making but maybe a batch a year or so, so minimal investment would be nice,

i just did step 2 of a wine kit and read ahead to bottling day. They recommend filtering. Do I need a fancy pump or just some filters and a funnel. I don't plan on making but maybe a batch a year or so, so minimal investment would be nice,

If you're going to filter anything (beer, wine, mead, or cider) after fermentation, you need a filtering setup. This can be a pump/filter set up, or a c02 set up with filters, etc.

btw, i brewed your oatmeal stout a week ago to have for turkey day. looking forward to trying it.

I never filter wines, while you do get a bit of sediment that way, just like homebrew, you can leave it in the bottle.

I never filter wines, while you do get a bit of sediment that way, just like homebrew, you can leave it in the bottle.

I don't have any sediment in my bottles, but then again I have carboys full of wine from the 2013 fruit harvest that I haven't' bottled yet.

If the wine is no longer dropping any lees after cold stabilization, and is totally clear, it shouldn't drop lees in the bottle either.

I do filter some wines, but not to remove sediment. That takes place during the 6 months in the carboy.

And NO!!! you cannot use a filter and funnel. You need a sealed environment to filter, funnels and filters will just oxidize the wine.

Back