Filtering water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumeja

Reaction score
I have been searching for info on this and not sure if I found what I wanted so I'll put it to all of you to help me. I want to get a single water filter housing and filter my tap water to 5 or 2 microns. My tap water taste is full of chlorine amd I drink ro water so why brew with it. But here's the question what do I have do with the additives after I filter the water? And what size filter is better.

I have been searching for info on this and not sure if I found what I wanted so I'll put it to all of you to help me. I want to get a single water filter housing and filter my tap water to 5 or 2 microns. My tap water taste is full of chlorine amd I drink ro water so why brew with it. But here's the question what do I have do with the additives after I filter the water? And what size filter is better.
Just use a carbon filter. The micron filters a only get sediment. The charcoal or carbon will take out the chlorine. After that use a Campden tablet to scrub any remain chloramine and o2. If you have RO water why not brew with it.

Just use a carbon filter. The micron filters a only get sediment. The charcoal or carbon will take out the chlorine. After that use a Campden tablet to scrub any remain chloramine and o2. If you have RO water why not brew with it.

The ro tank is only 3 gal so it would take forever to get enough for a 5 gal batch So I was thinking of simple in and out filter But what do I need to do after I filter Add calcium or something else?

The ro tank is only 3 gal so it would take forever to get enough for a 5 gal batch So I was thinking of simple in and out filter But what do I need to do after I filter Add calcium or something else?

No- filtering removes sediment. It doesn't remove alkalinity, calcium, etc, and if you have an RO system for a reason, you may find that your water isn't suited for brewing. Do you have a water report, to know if your water is suitable for brewing?

A very slow flowing carbon filter may remove chlorine, and if it's ultra slow, it may remove chloramines, but that's about it.

No- filtering removes sediment. It doesn't remove alkalinity, calcium, etc, and if you have an RO system for a reason, you may find that your water isn't suited for brewing. Do you have a water report, to know if your water is suitable for brewing?

A very slow flowing carbon filter may remove chlorine, and if it's ultra slow, it may remove chloramines, but that's about it.

Going to try to figure out how to get a report. I don't want to use the to just because of the waste of water. I know of I use it to drink I should use it for brewing. But it would take forever to get enough to brew. And if the filter I'm talking about isn't that good why is there a lot 9f videos on how to build them. None on how to use them.

I think it would be faster, easier, and cheaper to just get 8 gallons of RO water from the dispensing machine at like 35 cents/gallon and be done with it!

If your water company uses chlorine all you have to do is leave your water set out over night uncovered. I used to slowly filter water through a Brita, but when I found out my (former) water company used chlorine I tried just letting the chlorine outgas over night and it worked fine.

Back