Filling your own propane tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abracadabra

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone here has ever filled their 20 lb propane tank themselves using a stationary tank, gravity feed and or the pressure differential of the 2 tanks.

Rather than pay someone to pump it for them.

I am thinking about doing this because I estimate I can cut the amount of money I spend on gas almost in half.

I understand it's fairly fast and easy if you have a "wet leg" in your tank but I saw what I thought was someone doing this the other day using the standard input port and it got me to thinking about it again.

I always get my 20# propane tanks re filled at the gas station near our shop. I spent $24.60 to "fill" 6.6 gallons into 3 different 20# tanks...the tank gauge on each read "LOW gas" WHAT A RIP OFF! don't exchange tanks if you have a place to fill them..it would have cost me $64 to swap out 3 tanks that were still very full!

I've thought about it, but my delivered propane is more expensive than at the service station.

I always get my 20# propane tanks re filled at the gas station near our shop. I spent $24.60 to "fill" 6.6 gallons into 3 different 20# tanks...the tank gauge on each read "LOW gas" WHAT A RIP OFF! don't exchange tanks if you have a place to fill them..it would have cost me $64 to swap out 3 tanks that were still very full!

never trust a gauge on a tank . I just always have a spare full tank and run one completely out then hook up the new one and sometime during the week get the other filled . 15.95 to fill a 20 lb tank it averages 4.2 or there abouts in propane.I don't remember the price off hand of the 30lb tank

I've thought about it, but my delivered propane is more expensive than at the service station.

Wow that's the pits.

My delivered was running right at $2.50/ gal. + tax and a 20 lb tank refill was $18 + tax = $19.26 last month. So a 20 lb tank 80% full would cost $9.73 + tax = $10.41
to fill myself. Almost half price.

Wow that's the pits.

My delivered was running right at $2.50/ gal. + tax and a 20 lb tank refill was $18 + tax = $19.26 last month. So a 20 lb tank 80% full would cost $9.73 + tax = $10.41
to fill myself. Almost half price.

why not just run a line to your brew area from the tank and be done with tanks? I was looking into adding propane heat to my detached garage this way I get a break on the price and then just add a second line for the brew.

wow you guys are lucky it cost me $21 to get my 20 lb tank refilled. It is cheaper for me to just exchange for a new tank at Wal-Mart at a price of $17.95 with tax and that is for a new tank.

why not just run a line to your brew area from the tank and be done with tanks? I was looking into adding propane heat to my detached garage this way I get a break on the price and then just add a second line for the brew.

Yeah thats what i was going to say

Since you asked:

The reasons for not doing it are: I like the portability of tanks vs having a fixed location. The hassel involved in digging up the line to find if there is a spot for a tee that would be close to where I'd need it to be, or if I'd need to take long section(s) of pipe out of the ground and install additional shorter sections so that I could tee it off at a good spot, the work involved in breaking buried, rusted iron pipes loose from each other and the work involved in moving all the stuff I have that occupies the space I would need to use if I went with a fixed operation. Add in the fact that I use portable tanks for other things and have a total lack of time and energy to take on another fairly substantial project right now.

But I may end up doing just that. And in the long run that very well might be the best option too.

wow you guys are lucky it cost me $21 to get my 20 lb tank refilled. It is cheaper for me to just exchange for a new tank at Wal-Mart at a price of $17.95 with tax and that is for a new tank.

Check how much you're getting, though. If that refill is for 20 lb and the exchange is for 15 lb (Blue Rhino or AmeriGas), the refill would still be cheaper.

I think I have found the part I need to do the job it is a Rego Filler Valve part # 3120. The POL fitting, hose and other connectors should be fairly standard stuff.

Now if I can just find a retailer that will sell me one I should be on my way

Hrm... I must be lucky. Last time I filled up my propane tank (about a week ago) it was $9.43 after tax for 4.1 gallons. Looks like everyone else is paying about twice as much as me.

for less fuel too

Since you asked:

The reasons for not doing it are: I like the portability of tanks vs having a fixed location. The hassel involved in digging up the line to find if there is a spot for a tee that would be close to where I'd need it to be, or if I'd need to take long section(s) of pipe out of the ground and install additional shorter sections so that I could tee it off at a good spot, the work involved in breaking buried, rusted iron pipes loose from each other and the work involved in moving all the stuff I have that occupies the space I would need to use if I went with a fixed operation. Add in the fact that I use portable tanks for other things and have a total lack of time and energy to take on another fairly substantial project right now.

But I may end up doing just that. And in the long run that very well might be the best option too.

That there is just funny

of course Wal-Mart is probably giving you a 75% filled tank, just like Blue Rhino does.

Back