FIB in need of Cheesehead assistance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
I may have to head up to Stevens Point for work next week. Does anyone from WI know of any good brew pubs in the Stevens Point area that I could run a tab on the company dime at?

I don't know that there are any brewpubs around Stevens Point. It's a ways north of me, so someone closer can correct me. There's a brewery there. I think the closest brewpub is probably 50mi or so. You would probably have to go south to to the Portage, Dells or Madison area. Or go east toward Appleton.

There is the Point Brewery in Steven's Point and Central Waters is not horrible far away. Other than that it starts to get thin quick. If I had to send you somewhere based on beer alone I would say CW is better than Point by a land slide.

This may also help you: http://www.wisconline.com/attractions/breweries.html

I think there is a Hereford & Hops in Wausau- about 10 miles north of Stevens Point, I think. I can't think of anything else. I'm not a Central Waters fan, although certain Cheeseheads have started to change my mind- at least about one of their offerings! I think Point has a homebrew store there, but not much else.

(BTW I laughed at loud at you calling yourself a FIB- I thought it was a secret and that FIBs didn't know that we called them FIBs).

Maybe the FIB OP lived there for a bit like me.

My personal favorite was FIBWAB (with a boat).

I go to Point nearly every year for the bock run. Check out Oso beers. It's a brand started by the local homebrew shop and my sources say O'so has eclipsed central waters in quality. The downtown area has a handful of bars that have decent selection. Hilltop and Wooden Chair for grub.

Yooper said:
I think there is a Hereford & Hops in Wausau- about 10 miles north of Stevens Point, I think. I can't think of anything else. I'm not a Central Waters fan, although certain Cheeseheads have started to change my mind- at least about one of their offerings! I think Point has a homebrew store there, but not much else.

(BTW I laughed at loud at you calling yourself a FIB- I thought it was a secret and that FIBs didn't know that we called them FIBs).

We know you call us that....mostly true also. Thanks for the info!!

O'so would be a good place to go, I always forget about them because I would have to go to SP then south to them. It is a one of the few breweries that is also a LHBS of sorts. You can ask for the grain bill for any beer they make and will fill a bag with what you need to make it. IF you do this I HIGHLY recommend the Night Train.

Point Brewery is pretty good. I used to think they were mediocre, ignored them for a long time, but some of their recent offering have been more impressive lately. Also, they brew Liftbridge's beer (in Stillwater, MN - they only brew some of their beer in Stillwater) and Fulton's (in Minneapolis, although they recently opened their new brewery downtown so I think they are brewing their own beer now). If I have my info wrong, please correct me.

As far as brewpubs in Stevens Point, not so sure. If you head up to Wasau, about 20min to a half hour north, there is a place called Great Dane right off the highway. It's huge, and I think it's some kind of chain, but the beer and food were both pretty solid, not really mind blowing though.

If you feel like heading over to Appleton (about an hour) there are a few there but the best is Stone Cellar. It's down by the river, in the old between the locks building. Its a cool building, good atmosphere, the beer is good, the food is excellent.

Zamial said:
O'so would be a good place to go, I always forget about them because I would have to go to SP then south to them. It is a one of the few breweries that is also a LHBS of sorts. You can ask for the grain bill for any beer they make and will fill a bag with what you need to make it. IF you do this I HIGHLY recommend the Night Train.

Night Train IS one great beer. +1,000

I can't speak for anything else, but I've had a few good Steven's Point, especially the Cascade Ale. I'd always heard and assumed they were sort of like Leiney's, but my experience has been much better than that.

And thanks for the new acronym. I understand the connotation, but never knew exactly what FIB meant!

And thanks for the new acronym. I understand the connotation, but never knew exactly what FIB meant!

My cheesehead friends up in Appleton told me the secret long ago. They relaxed their guard because i drove close to the speed limit and signaled... Remember, without FIB drivers for a steady stream of revenue, the Wisc & MI state police would have to file chapter 11. I definitely preferred riding a motorcycle in either state over IL.

I can't speak for anything else, but I've had a few good Steven's Point, especially the Cascade Ale. I'd always heard and assumed they were sort of like Leiney's, but my experience has been much better than that.

Point is a strange animal. Their basic lager was my go to beer for years because it came in those great returnable cases and crown bottles (I still have one) After the deposit it worked out to $5-ish a case if I remember right.

Then I started to try their specialty brews. It was like a blind crap shoot if it was going to even be drinkable let alone decent. I ended up wasting to much cash on dumpers.

I think that lack of good exposure and to many released horrible beers is going to kill them eventually, not that I wish that on them at all. I actually want to go to the brewery for a tour and try stuff directly from the source before attempting a random buy from a store.

Sounds a bit like Shorts to me. I've had several of their bottled "special" beers, but can't say that they are any good IMO. But they have some nice regular beers and I know they are trying some new things. They got lots of followers. But from what I hear I have to actually go up there and drink from the taps to get the full experience.

Go to O'so Brewery, you won't regret it, they have a very nice LHBS but their tap room is even better. They have 40 microbrews on tap, I believe all from WI. The tap room has a wall of windows so you can look at their brewing equipment, they are usually done brewing around 4:30 so to watch you need to get there early. They open at 3 PM and close at 9 PM. There is a restaurant a couple doors down and a hotel a block away. Wish I was going there with a corporate sponsor. They have all their beers on tap and ones from many other small breweries.

I thought it was a secret and that FIBs didn't know that we called them FIBs

Being a Michigan native and spending my summers on the south west coast, That secret has been out for years. Unfortunately, I live in FIB land, and I see everyday how true it is.

+1 to O'So, especially Night Train. And Great Dane. It is a chain but they usually have a good variety of their beers on tap. I like any of their casked beers, their ESB is good, so is Scotch Ale and their Red. Barleywine is excellent.

If your looking to try some micro brew.....there is a place called Central Waters Brewery in Amherst, Wi. Its right East of Stevens Point off Route 10. It's basically a giant pole barn with a small bar right in the middle of the brewery. Good beer.....bring a few empty growlers with to fill up!

O'so is the ticket. All posted is true, they are my LHBS, 40 wisconsin taps in the taproom. 3 other restaurants in the strip mall. Head to Christian's if on the company dime. Hampton Inn across the parking lot, other hotels nearby. It is in Plover. Point brewery has some tours, but not really a brew pub. Central Waters is probably next closest in Amherst. Wausau has a few but over 30 miles away.

Wow, I guess I'll have to give great dane another shot. I didn't know they had any cask beers, not too shabby.

Also, where is this O'so's? Is it in Stephens Point? and if so where? I think I'm gonna have to stop in there - I go through Stephens Point when I head home to see the folks - and that definitely sounds worth checking out.

So how does that work; they have a tap room and serve beer they brew but also serve others' beer as well? If so, that's the bees knees.

Does anyone know if Minnesota's new taproom law functions anything like that?

tevens Point and plover kind of run together, very difficult to tell which one is which.... Oso is off of Hwy B in plover, near menards (next door). Maybe 6 miles from the hwy 10 east exit, and hwy b runs into hwy 10. Oso does serve their beers with the rest of the 40 taps being other's beer.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be stopping in there next time I head through Stephens Point.

Grinnan5150 said:
I may have to head up to Stevens Point for work next week. Does anyone from WI know of any good brew pubs in the Stevens Point area that I could run a tab on the company dime at?

Any report for us?

Grinnan5150 said:
Sorry. Nothing to report. I was too from any brew pub or brewery. Ate at the hotel.

I was at the O'so tap room last night and it was pretty sweet. 40 taps of good beer- all $3.50 a glass.

The Dank Imperial Red was awesome.

It's in Plover, wi.

Latest posts

Back