Fg too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNBEERGUY

Reaction score
hey guys the continuing story of my left hand milk stout clone after week in primary I took a sample for fg target fig was 1.016 and I got 1.022 I know this is too high since this was my first brew I used dry yeast and did not hydrate well I can tell primary fermentation is dying down do to no more bubbling in airlock and Krausen head going down how do I fix this ?

Yeast are going to do what they want to do. They are alive and they are going to decide what your final FG is going to be, all that you can do is try to nudge them in the direction you want. That being said you've got a couple of options. First off, just because the karusen is dropping doesn't mean you are at FG. What I would suggest is to simply move the beer to warmer spot in your house (or just turn up your ferm chamber if you've got one). Warmer temps make it easier for the yeast to chew through those final few points. You can also gently swirl the carboy to try to get some more yeast back into suspension.

I would do that and leave the beer alone for a week or so, then check the gravity again. I'd bet you've got a few more points to drop yet, just be patient.

Which yeast did you use? English strains will most often finish with a high FG. Was this all grain or extract? Mashing grains at a high temperature will create unfermentable sugars resulting in a high FG. Check the SG after another week in the primary.

I can tell primary fermentation is dying down do to no more bubbling in airlock and Krausen head going down how do I fix this ?

Even after the obvious signs of fermentation cease, there will still be activity. It's not uncommon for a beer to continue to drop a few points after the krausen has dropped. Dropping 6 or so more points is not out of the question, which would hit your target.

How long has it been fermenting? Patience may be the answer...

EDIT: I re-read your post, and saw that it has been a week in the primary. I'd give it a full two weeks, or warm it up if you're that worried about it!

Even after the obvious signs of fermentation cease, there will still be activity. It's not uncommon for a beer to continue to drop a few points after the krausen has dropped. Dropping 6 or so more points is not out of the question, which would hit your target.

How long has it been fermenting? Patience may be the answer...

EDIT: I re-read your post, and saw that it has been a week in the primary. I'd give it a full two weeks, or warm it up if you're that worried about it!

Thanks what does warming actually do ? I keep the beer at optimum temperature

Warming it will give your beer what is called a diacetyl rest, waking up the yeast a bit to clean up any acetaldehyde or diacetyls that will cause off-flavors. I strongly recommend reading How to Brew by Jon Palmer, it's all explained there.

Thanks what does warming actually do ? I keep the beer at optimum temperature

Giving it a gentle shake and warming the beer up a few degrees can help wake some yeast back up to do some more work. Chewy down that sugar and gravity more...

Since the majority of fermentation has finished, off flavors from warmer temps are less of a concern. That said, you don't have to go crazy with temp rise either (In my experience, 3-7F is usually good enough)....

What yeast did you pitch?

Back