FG Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dances

Reaction score
Hi All

I am asking this as I cannot get an answer from searching and as I am new to this and just starting my 4th batch I feel I really should know this.

I read everywhere about how it is good/better to leave fermentation for longer than advised with malt extract kit instructions so I have been frementing my batches for approx 4 weeks before bottling.

My last batch had a FG reading of 1.003 which I consider low and am slightly concerned about (Coopers euro lager kit) but then I read in various places to try and achieve precise FG readings.

Which do I do, keep taking readings to try and hit the advised FG or just leave fermentation for longer and forget the advised?

Cheers

The FG is generally predictable, based on several things- the type of yeast, the ingredients used, the temperature of the fermentation, and if all-grain, the temperature of the mash.

In a kit, often there is corn sugar or honey added. Those are 100% fermentable, and will give a lower FG than an all-malt beer. Looking at your FG, I'm guessing that is the guess here. Most all-malt kits won't get below 1.010.

If your FG is unchanging, and it's under 1.020, then it is safe to bottle. The FG number really isn't all that important- it's an indicator that the beer is finished. In this case, your beer is finished.

How does your beer taste? FG is achieved not by matching what is printed on a recipe but when you achieve the same SG reading over a period of 3 days. A lot of beer hydos have a large range and it can be difficult to see minor changes in SG so that's one reason to measure over a 3 day period rather than the suggested 2 days.

Let the yeast do there thing, they know when to stop, they've been doing it for thousands of years.

Have you calibrated your hydrometer?

How does your beer taste? FG is achieved not by matching what is printed on a recipe but when you achieve the same SG reading over a period of 3 days. A lot of beer hydos have a large range and it can be difficult to see minor changes in SG so that's one reason to measure over a 3 day period rather than the suggested 2 days.

Let the yeast do there thing, they know when to stop, they've been doing it for thousands of years.

Have you calibrated your hydrometer?

I have to admit - my hydrometer is a cheapo from a starter kit and I keep meaning to upgrade - so no I have not calibrated.

I just worried at such a low reading. I have bottled but it is still conditioning. Initial taste when bottling suggested strong lager and it tasted good.

what was your target FG? you dont want to bottle when it is still fermenting because it could result in exploding bottles. 1.003 sounds a little low to me too. i have a book of style and for light lagers your fg can range from 0.998-1.015 depending on the style. so you should be ok. what was in your recipe if you dont mind me asking?

what was your target FG? you dont want to bottle when it is still fermenting because it could result in exploding bottles. 1.003 sounds a little low to me too. i have a book of style and for light lagers your fg can range from 0.998-1.015 depending on the style. so you should be ok. what was in your recipe if you dont mind me asking?

It was a Coopers Euro Lager which I added 1.1Kg of brewing sugar to. I did not use any grain at all, just the extract as I am still learning.

Back