FG reading and first tasted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivendell

Reaction score
So I brewed my first batch last Sunday, and took a SP reading last night at the end of basically the first brewing week. The bubbles have subsided and it was just a bit higher than the expected FG. Will go into the secondary on Sunday.

And let me say that the first taste from the thief afterwards was great. Even the wife liked it (which is saying a lot).

It is so much fun tasting the beer as it ferments. Even better for your first batch. Like watching it grow up.

Great to hear! Congrats!

FYI.....there is a big movemt and a general concencus that racking to a secondary is not always necessary and tends to do more harm then good. Better off leaving it in the primary for 3-4 weeks

Congrats... the first ice cold home home brew is a treasure moment, so when it comes make sure to document and enjoy.

I don't rack to secondary unless its a dark lager and the ferment time needs to be extended

If it's left in the primary, can it be moved to a cooler environment? 65-68 degrees? Seems that the primary fermentation is done.

I normally keep my fermentor at those temperatures anyway. So, yes IMO.

It was a wheat beer and fermentation temps noted between 68-72 for the yeast. Just new enough that I don't yet get what the yeast/beer is doing in the secondary or longer primary time.

Back