FG met in 2 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmesomewater

Reaction score
Okay I am curious, I have been doing a few all grain 1 gallon BIAB batches. My efficiency is averaging around 76-80%, I'm only using 1/3 to 1/2 packets of dry yeast usually s 04 or US 05.

My last two batches have vigorously fermented and a majority of the fermentation was done in 48 hours. I however let my brews sit for clarity and such. Just curious to how many other brewers have this happening.

Also I start the yeast in 75 degree 1/2cup of water prior to pitching. Maybe I am aerating the wort too much I don't know, nonetheless the beer is coming out clear and tasty.

I guess what I truly am concerned with is whether or not this could cause off flavors

Only if the reason for the fast finish was due to something that does create off flavors, like too-warm fermentation temperatures.

It's not uncommon for many ales to be finished with active fermentation in just a day or two, or sometimes three, but it might still drop a few more points before the yeast is completely done.

While the yeast can drop the gravity to near the final gravity in just a couple days, it isn't done yet. The yeast will break down the sugars into some intermediate compounds, not just alcohol. It will take it a few more days to break down all the intermediate products after which the yeast will begin to settle. The longer you let it sit after the ferment is complete, the more yeast settle out leaving much less to settle in the bottle or keg. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

While the yeast can drop the gravity to near the final gravity in just a couple days, it isn't done yet. The yeast will break down the sugars into some intermediate compounds, not just alcohol. It will take it a few more days to break down all the intermediate products after which the yeast will begin to settle. The longer you let it sit after the ferment is complete, the more yeast settle out leaving much less to settle in the bottle or keg. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html
Thanks for the reply and yeah I always wait just for the clarity aspect. Just set an iresh red ale to ferment, we will see if it ferments just as fast.

Several of my recent 5-gallon batches finished in 4 days +\-. I still let them sit 2 weeks in primary. I love my beers so far.

Back