Few months off....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnoob1

Reaction score
So, I've had a decent pipeline going and due to my daughter being born, I've taken the last few months off of brewing and drinking what I have. Well, down to less than 2 kegs, I decided I better get something going. Decided on a previous brew I've done which is a Nut Brown. Anyways, after months off, Saturday's brew day went easier and smoother than any other brew I've ever done. I had to go through my process twice after it was said and done to make sure I didn't miss something. I was SURE I had to forget something. Steeped grains....check, Added extract at boil...check, added 60 minute hops...check, 20 minute hop addition....check, 15 minute whirlfloc tab....check, chiller for sanitizing.....check, flameout hop addition....check, re-hydraded yeast.....check, cooled down in 15 minutes and added to bucket....check, pitch yeast....check. Well, guess I didn't miss anything. It was just a badass day of brewing I guess! Checked on Sunday morning and had a few inches of Krausen already...so I'm calling this a win!

I did however do some things differently than I have before for comparison purposes. I added the steeping grains to the cold water and brought the temp up. Pulled the grains at 170. I usually bring the water to temp before adding the grains. This shaved off almost an hour since I steep in my full 6 gallons. I also added all the LME and Brown Sugar at the beginning of the boil instead of at the end. This saved time dealing with a huge hot break. I did this on purpose as beersmith brought down the IBUs from the bittering by doing the full LME instead of a partial. So, this shaved off some time as well. Other than those 2 things, things went as normal. I guess though that the hour saved made me think I forgot something. KEEP BREWING!

Back