Fermzilla Flat Bottom Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked the FerMonster out. It's 2" taller and I think the opening is smaller. I like that the Fermzilla is shorter with a wide mouth. Oh, and it does not require a stopper for the bubbler.

I just got the all rounder and am using it this weekend. Plan on pressure testing it with some water tonight or Tomm. I also have the closed transfer cap for it too since hats how I transfer into my kegs.

I don't know what advantage pressure fermenting imparts. I have had very few problems with O2. I drink my beer fast so...

This one is cool, too - another in a series of these pressure capable, plastic fermenters with ball lock compatible hardware.

I still wish these fermenters had bottom draining spigots, though. It would be the best of both worlds. You could ferment without the need to force the beer up and out of the top, which either requires pressure or outboard CO2.

I installed a ball valve in a corny keg just for this purpose, but it would be nice to have simple plastic options, too.

Oh I dont pressure ferment I just pressure transfer to kegs. But i bought this after I broke a glass csrboy and I immediately love the fact that it’s so much lighter and I bought the carrier strap that connects the fermenter to its stand so I can carry it all as one unit. I think the only diff is the shape of the all rounder vs flat bottom I’m guessing so the trub can concentrate to the center of the fermenter and it’s easier for racking.

I don't know what advantage pressure fermenting imparts. I have had very few problems with O2. I drink my beer fast so...
As @olotti mentioned you'd have the option of pressure transferring, not fermenting under pressure.

Edit: I didn't see your post before posting this^.

I might be a little odd, but I appreciate ball lock connections because I can more easily vent fermentation CO2 into the serving keg to purge it. That's my typical practice. But then I would rather rack the beer using simple gravity, which is where the spigot comes in. Fermenters on the market today seem to offer one or the other, but not both.

Of course you can vent CO2 from most fermenters using a stopper and tubing, but it's usually a bit janky and not as secure or airtight as a ball lock connection.

This one is cool, too - another in a series of these pressure capable, plastic fermenters with ball lock compatible hardware.

I still wish these fermenters had bottom draining spigots, though. It would be the best of both worlds. You could ferment without the need to force the beer up and out of the top, which either requires pressure or outboard CO2.

I installed a ball valve in a corny keg just for this purpose, but it would be nice to have simple plastic options, too.
Which one? :)

Do the make bulkhead Corney connectors? That would be simple to add to a plastic lid.

Perhaps a bit off-topic for this thread, but to alleviate any confusion:

Here's a pic of my modified 3 gallon corny keg with a ball valve on the bottom. Inside, there's a barb attached to a short length of flexible silicone tubing and a float ball.

The float starts out submerged in the beer, then as the beer drains, the float ends up neatly on the bottom, leaving yeast behind. This pic shows a closed transfer occurring to the keg on the floor, which had been purged with fermentation gas. The gas in that keg is being displaced by the beer, pushed back up into the fermenter.

No bottled CO2 is used or needed with this setup.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1b1e.jpg

^^^ This is how I've started doing it as well. BMB instead of corny, and stoppers instead of ball or pin locks... so different but similar idea using parts I already had.

As a bonus I'm filling the keg with liquid and purging it out, to be sure I'm "CO2 only" in it (which I know is impossible just a goal). Then I'm trying various tricks with continuing to supply a little pressure so I can kind of clear the lines while hooking them up.

But, yeah, off topic.

Just got a BrewZilla Flat Bottom fermenter. A couple of reasons. One reason is that it fits inside my fermentation fridge. That way I can control temps. Second reason is that I can keep it closed (no O2 ingress). Third reason is that I can transfer to a keg similar to what McKnuckle does by using the "pressure transfer kit". I'm confident this will work just fine. Once the two vessels are connected, gravity will pull the beer into the keg and the CO2 in the keg will flow to the fermenter. Easy peasy.
homebrudoc

I've got the flat-bottom Fermzilla. It's generally fine, but there are two things about it that make me use it less.

First, I don't like the opening for the airlock. It works fine for that purpose, but it's hard to keep it sealed when pressure transferring.

Second, it's just too big. It leaves too much headspace for even the biggest batches I can do in my kettle or in my friend's Brewzilla.

If you do end up getting it, though, I recommend getting the stainless steel handles as well.

I just got a 10G Torpedo for pressurized fermentations. Downside is that you can't see what's going on. Plus side is that's it indestructible and there's no "time limit" on test pressurization. Keg and a SPUNDit is good for me. Tilt hydrometer is also a handy tool!

Back