Fermzilla dip tube issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
Hi all,
I did my first pressure ferment this month, in my fermzilla. I went to xfer it into a keg today, all under co2 pressure to avoid oxygen. Most of the transfer went fine but when I got down below 2 gallons remaining in the fermzilla I started having issues. When the fermzilla starts to go conical, the floating ball was getting stuck on the sides, so the pickup tube was sucking up co2. Wiggling the fermzilla a bit helped, as did tipping it a bit, but I didn't want to stir up much sediment so I ended up leaving about 2-3L in the fermzilla.
Any tips for this? is maybe the hose too long? Should I trim it for next time to be just long enough to reach the bottom?

Other than that issue, it went well. The keg I had sanitized and then purged with CO2 and filled to about 10psi. The fermzilla had been at 12psi, which is also what my supply from the tank is set to. So I started the xfer and then set the spunding valve to about 10psi, and it looked to go well without foaming.

Now onto batch #2 of old speckled hen. The last one only lasted 6 weeks.

Attachments

• beertransfer1.jpg
    beertransfer1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I have the all rounder and have found that tapping the side of the fermenter right where the pickup filter is seems to move it down in the liquid and tap sediment free when it plugs. Tapping with my fingertip is often effective but I’ve had to use something heavier and harder at times - like the rounded back side of an adjustable wrench. I tap gently, and yea, doing this with the fermenter under pressure does make me nervous.

Yes, you should cut your dip tube to be just a bit shorter than the fermenter so it doesn't touch the bottom. The tube that comes with it is meant to be used for any of their fermenters so it is long enough to be used in the 60l model.

Back