Fermentrack: Fermentation monitoring & BrewPi-www Replacement for Raspberry Pi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In BPR the CSV exists. I am not sure if @Thorrak kept that, but you might search for it. The bash command would be:
Bash:
find {search directory path} -type f -name "*.csv"

In BPR the CSV exists. I am not sure if @Thorrak kept that, but you might search for it. The bash command would be:
Bash:
find {search directory path} -type f -name "*.csv"

I found said CSV it in two places
I wanted to edit out my numbskull idiocy of not setting BIOS clock on power restart after one of my lawn littering walnut trees windily sang excuse me while I touch the sky, and the power lines. Suddenly I had a data point from 1980. I found them in:
/home/brewpi/data/whateveryounamedyourbrewsession/whateveryounamedyourbrewsession.csv
and
/var/www/html/data/whateveryounamedyourbrewsession/whateveryounamedyourbrewsession.csv

I forget editing which one made the diff, and I'm sorry but don't recall if session was still logging at the time or not. THinking not.

At least in BPR, the CSV files are not the source of truth for the graph. They were just something that was kind of tacked in there for future use.

You would have to edit the JSON files to make a difference for the graph. And again, in BPR, those are truncated daily.

I apologize in advance. I am new to Linux and the Raspberry Pi. I have been reading on the subject but I can't seem to be able to finish Calibrating the iSpindel using Fermentrack on the Raspberry Pi 4.
I used the code ( curl -L install.fermentrack.com | sudo bash ) Everything looks like it works properly but after I add the calibration points and press (Perform Calibration with Above Points) I get the Error message ( The "numpy" python package is not available which is required for calibration ) I have at least been able to use the Extra Data from Device Current Angle 43.81632.
I tried to update the Coefficients manually using www.ispindel.de/tools/calibration/calibration.htm
After plugging in the Data it spat out
Degree 1: 0.9417258792131212 + 0.0021541829626664727 *tilt
Degree 2: 0.9801680596241044 + 0.0004654507643561344 *tilt + 0.000016689703718827357 *tilt*tilt
Degree 3: 0.8380399596467517 + 0.010036603508117178 *tilt-0.0001845658017782366 *tilt*tilt + 0.0000013361011382717298 *tilt*tilt*tilt
Since Fermentrack only accepts numbers I can't enter the *tilt
I entered A=0.8387079280357893
B=0.009977954610873066
C=-0.00018307883245716682
D=1.324892002396245e-06
and came up with a Specific Gravity in the 50 thousand to 75 thousand.
If anyone can assist me in figuring out what to type in to update the Coefficients it would be greatly appreciated.
I also have the data configured for Plato
Degree 1: -13.44699335413048 + 0.5092696047391156 *tilt
Degree 2: -6.932649539137209 + 0.22310003699785366 *tilt + 0.0028282076363115322 *tilt*tilt
Degree 3: -38.89638588217009 + 2.3755934767130062 *tilt-0.042432918884870795 *tilt*tilt + 0.0003004809359875522 *tilt*tilt*tilt

Appreciate the help. Sometimes the harder you look at a problem, the easier it is to overlook the simplest (and what should be obvious) solutions without a little helpful nudge in the right direction.

I just installed Fermentrack on a VirtualBox VM. A few questions:
  • Will Fermentrack start up automatically when I start the VM? Or do I need to run a command to get Fermentrack to automatically start up?
  • I currently use a Pi 4 to run Fermentrack, but wanted to free the Pi up. I see there isn't a backup/restore utility. Is there any other easy way to get the current config on the Pi over to the VM instance?
  • If the Pi 4 is currently powered up and running with a couple ESP8266 controllers configured to it, do I first need to shut that down before I can see those devices and get them configured on the new VM instance of Fermentrack?
  • Are there any differences I should be aware of running Fermentrack inside a VirtualBox VM instead of a Pi?
Thanks.

I just installed Fermentrack on a VirtualBox VM. A few questions:
  • Will Fermentrack start up automatically when I start the VM? Or do I need to run a command to get Fermentrack to automatically start up?
  • I currently use a Pi 4 to run Fermentrack, but wanted to free the Pi up. I see there isn't a backup/restore utility. Is there any other easy way to get the current config on the Pi over to the VM instance?
  • If the Pi 4 is currently powered up and running with a couple ESP8266 controllers configured to it, do I first need to shut that down before I can see those devices and get them configured on the new VM instance of Fermentrack?
  • Are there any differences I should be aware of running Fermentrack inside a VirtualBox VM instead of a Pi?
Thanks.

Hey there - glad you're having success with Fermentrack! To answer your questions in order:

Assuming you used the "one line" install command to set it up, Fermentrack should start up automatically when you start the VM.

You are correct that there is not currently a backup/restore utility. This is something I'm working on, but don't yet have an ETA for. It will come at some point, but not likely within the next few months.

You don't need to shut down the Pi 4, but I would STRONGLY recommend at least removing the controllers from the Pi's Fermentrack installation if you don't. The controller firmware only supports a single connection at a time, and will disconnect an older connection in order to process a new one. If you have multiple installations of Fermentrack fighting over a single controller, this manifests as each Fermentrack installation seeming to hold a connection for ~30-45 seconds, then dropping that connection and displaying an error for ~one minute.

It's an open secret that the installation of Fermentrack that I use for my ferments is actually a VM running on my NAS. There shouldn't be any meaningful differences between the platforms, other than that I don't typically test against platforms other than Pis (and my specific NAS) and therefore may accidentally break things at some point in the future. That said, however, if something does break I will try to get it working again as long as you report it -- x64 is a platform for which I want to maintain support.

My ESP8266 controllers keep disconnecting and disappearing from WiFi after some time now that I'm using the VM instance of Fermentrack. The WiFi signal is great where the 8266s are located, so that shouldn't be the problem. I'm using old UniFi AP-AC devices, which has the UniFi controller - and the ESP8266 with the Fermentrack firmware keep disconnecting. They disappear from the home WiFi, and they are not in AP mode either.

A reboot 4x puts them back into AP mode. I can update WiFi and see them on my home WiFi network and in Fermentrack, but the next day (or maybe later the same day?) they are gone again. I didn't have this problem when using the Raspberry Pi 4, but it happens now. I understand that whether Fermentrack is on the VM or the Pi, that is outside the WiFi connection and shouldn't matter. The problem is losing WiFi.

It's odd, because I was able to use Fermentrack a few months ago for a brew with the Raspberry Pi 4. The only change since then was to add a 2nd AP closer to the ESP8266 controllers and to run Fermentrack on a VM.

UPDATE -- Figured it out. One of my WiFi APs lost power (the one closest to the Fermentrack ESP8266 controllers).

Last edited:
Hi,

I've been running the latest docker version of fermentrack. I have an Uno connected to a pair of relays to control my fermentation chamber. It has now been three times I check in on the chamber and the controller has lost all its temp sensor and pin settings stopping any cooling. I have cleared the eeprom and reflashed the controller using the guided flash process. It will work for several weeks and then just randomly stop. Any ideas?

Have you checked all your wiring connections?

I used these connectors to the boards so I could pull things apart if needed. I often find I need to go in and wiggle them and press them in. My problem seems to be the temp sensor connection as that is what gets lost.

Have you checked all your wiring connections?

I used these connectors to the boards so I could pull things apart if needed. I often find I need to go in and wiggle them and press them in. My problem seems to be the temp sensor connection as that is what gets lost.

Haven't checked the connectors yet, but will do that. The problem is that all the configuration gets lost, even the heating and cooling relay pins

I've been running the latest docker version of fermentrack. I have an Uno connected to a pair of relays to control my fermentation chamber. It has now been three times I check in on the chamber and the controller has lost all its temp sensor and pin settings stopping any cooling. I have cleared the eeprom and reflashed the controller using the guided flash process. It will work for several weeks and then just randomly stop. Any ideas?
See, this worries me because I am having the same issue with the ESP8266. I thought it was because I have network security software that strobes all ports on all hosts, but if you had this happen on the Uno it makes me wonder if it's something else.

I wonder if it's not worth doing some debug here - @Thorrak?

First I want to thank everyone who has put fermentrack together, it works fantastic. I have been using it since the beginning, but in the last couple years I have had none stop relay problems on both of my coolers. Normally the relays stick in the cooling position (some just go open). I started with 2 channel ss relays and then went to the 2 channel mechanical with snubbers. Anyone have a recommendation for a relay that will hold up? Getting really tired of f- up fermentations and replacing relays.

WHat are you using as snubbers? I've used ~150V MOVs pretty successfully. If you have a pretty beefy fridge, it could be pulling more than the relays should handle. You want to look at "Locked Rotor Amps" (LRA) to plan for capacity.

Those are 10A relays. Your coolers are going to draw WAY more than 9A on startup, and there's very little room for comfort at 9A. The 2 channel SSRs I have seen are 2A.

Go for one of the 40A SSRs and see how that does for you.

I have measured starting current in the past they draw about 9a starting and 1-2a running.

Ok. Thanks for the input. So there's no way low voltage or flakey controller could cause this.

Anything is possible, but you are getting physical failures of your relays which is not a controller issue

One thing you can check is that you are powering (i.e. removing the jumper) the relay with 5v.

Using three Fermentrack controllers I built and a tilt bridge with great success. Thanks to everyone on these pages for all the information and support. One question on the ABV box on the tilt bridge graph. I start the tilt just after I load the fermenter (conical) and get a good initial gravity reading. Say 1.055 etc. Occasional along the way during fermentation the fermenter might get bumped, or oxygen added, hops, or activity that might temporarily bump the tilt to read a high gravity for a reading on the graph say 1.070, then for the rest of the ferment the Abv is always off as it’s based off that one off reading high. Is there a way to only read the first OG reading as the high, or remove a high data point. I have also tried to add a data point back in time as well but can’t see, to do that as well. Any ideas.

I have browsed through and searched. Maybe I'm using wrong keywords. But I have a question re the ispindel and temperature change. I have been using ispindel for a year now. And it seems to work sweet as. it's pretty close to being spot on. Except when I cold crash. It seems to drop 3-4 points. Does fermentrack allow for temp change when it calulates the gravity?

Going back some months there was some talk of adding the temperature correction to the iSpindel, but it didn't get enough traction so was dropped. However, there is an issue #583 on Fermentrack github that you could add your voice to?

So I need a little help from the Fermentrack family and @Thorrak. I had a working version of Fermentrack installed mid-2021 on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ using an Arduino Uno controller built for BrewPi Remix. All was working fine for ~4 months but in late November, it no longer could read the controller script. Gave up after five days of no response, so I decided to start clean and reinstall Pi OS and Fermentrack. I have tried four different version of the Pi OS (Debian Bullseye Desktop and Lite version and legacy Buster Desktop and Lite versions). Used both a VNC and ssh to connect to Pi. All are Docker installations that seem to install ok but they all come back with "** ERROR: Unable to find an initialized, responsive instance of Fermentrack". I've reformatted the SD card each time and have used two different cards. I guess I can try a different port other than 80 but have no idea of which one to use. Any other new users having any installation issues like this? I'm stumped. The install in July went so seamless!

So I need a little help from the Fermentrack family and @Thorrak. I had a working version of Fermentrack installed mid-2021 on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ using an Arduino Uno controller built for BrewPi Remix. All was working fine for ~4 months but in late November, it no longer could read the controller script. Gave up after five days of no response, so I decided to start clean and reinstall Pi OS and Fermentrack. I have tried four different version of the Pi OS (Debian Bullseye Desktop and Lite version and legacy Buster Desktop and Lite versions). Used both a VNC and ssh to connect to Pi. All are Docker installations that seem to install ok but they all come back with "** ERROR: Unable to find an initialized, responsive instance of Fermentrack". I've reformatted the SD card each time and have used two different cards. I guess I can try a different port other than 80 but have no idea of which one to use. Any other new users having any installation issues like this? I'm stumped. The install in July went so seamless!

https://github.com/thorrak/fermentrack-tools/issues/49#issuecomment-995222090
Working on it!

Try now.

I suspect it's a timing thing - the ESP's come online faster than the router so they never connect. You could try putting smart plugs on the power supplies and restart them that way.
Yeah @Thorrak did post how the controller handles the late start up of WiFi but its still a problem. I'm think your smart plug suggestion might be the simplest way. I have my Rpi running Fermentrack connectivity so I can use the VNC link thru remot3 to access the local network and toggle a smart plug. Any recommendation on a plug or should I DIY it?

I like the Kasa plugs. You can get them in 3 and 4-packs on Amazon and they are pretty affordable. I mean, unless you need another project? :p

I like the Kasa plugs. You can get them in 3 and 4-packs on Amazon and they are pretty affordable. I mean, unless you need another project? :p
Do you think I'd have the same problem of them coming back up after power failure faster than the modem/router and not reconnecting to wifi?

I have been unexpectedly testing my network here recently. I have not had a single issue with the connected devices coming back up after a power failure (including Keg Cop. ;) )

If you want to get REALLY fancy, you can script actions after a failure with Home Assistant or something like that.

I have been unexpectedly testing my network here recently. I have not had a single issue with the connected devices coming back up after a power failure (including Keg Cop. ;) )

If you want to get REALLY fancy, you can script actions after a failure with Home Assistant or something like that.
I picked up a KP-125 Kasa mini smart plug and was able to connect it to Wifi using a guest account as I don't want to rely on the cloud for remote access. I'd prefer to just be able to use my Remot3 to VNC into my Rpi that is also running my Fermentrack and use a command line direct to the Kasa smart plug to cycle the power to my ESP8266 so that it connects back into WiFi and Fermentrack can pick it up again. @happyduke had a post involving controlling a kasa smart plug but again it involves the kasa cloud which I'd rather avoid.

I'm able to ping the IP of the Kasa smart plug locally. I'll look into Home Assistant but a simple command line ability to turn it on and off would be all I need.

If @Thorrak does add an autoreconnect to the firmware flashes of the esp2866s for slow router reboots this will not be necessary but until then the smart plug might do the job.

I *think* he might be doing something since he was just asking me about my Asynch WiFiManager port. Or maybe he's working on KegScreen. Either of which would be fine. :)

I *think* he might be doing something since he was just asking me about my Asynch WiFiManager port. Or maybe he's working on KegScreen. Either of which would be fine. :)
Different project, actually. :)

The Kasa smart plugs can ABSOLUTELY be controlled without the use of the Kasa cloud. I don't have code handy at the moment, but I got a proof-of-concept working on an ESP32 about a year ago. I'm sure that a python script is out there somewhere.

WiFi autoreconnection should work in the released firmware, but - clearly - it isn't working for you, @MacDee. This is on the list of things to address next time I open the hood on the firmware again, but that's likely to be at least a few months from now.

Different project, actually. :)

The Kasa smart plugs can ABSOLUTELY be controlled without the use of the Kasa cloud. I don't have code handy at the moment, but I got a proof-of-concept working on an ESP32 about a year ago. I'm sure that a python script is out there somewhere.

Thanks @Thorrak and @LBussy , I did a search on python script & kasa and found a project called python-kasa and installed it. Now all I need to do on the command line is
pi@xxxxxx:~ $ kasa --plug --host 192.xxx.x.xxx on
Turning on SmartPlug1
pi@xxxxxx:~ $ kasa --plug --host 192.xxx.x.xxx off
Turning off SmartPlug1

no kasa cloud or account needed.

Back